Nice little UK group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little UK group

Here's a nice little group. It comes with a few other gongs for £ 14,000.00, so a little out of my price range. I'd venture that the medal in the middle isn't often seen on medal bars.

I'm absolutely sure I saw that group in the last DNW catalogue. A Central Africa is something, a group containing one of those and a Niger Company is rocking horse shyte. In fact, there was a couple of Niger groups in that catalogue, so I'm thinking a collection disposal. When one considers the silver Nigers were issued in numbers of less than a hundred, this is a hell of an (dare I say it) investment. Who's selling it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Farrell
      I'm absolutely sure I saw that group in the last DNW catalogue. A Central Africa is something, a group containing one of those and a Niger Company is rocking horse shyte. In fact, there was a couple of Niger groups in that catalogue, so I'm thinking a collection disposal. When one considers the silver Nigers were issued in numbers of less than a hundred, this is a hell of an (dare I say it) investment. Who's selling it?
      It's in the latest Liverpool Medal Company update. It is part of the group to Brig.-Gen. G.G. Cunningham, CB, CBE, DSO: http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/FMPro...=211474&-find=

Comment

That update has several DCLI groups, including this, so maybe a collection disposal of a DCLI collection.

Comment

Bloody Hell!!! What a hell of a group !!! Is there any part of Africa that this bloke DID NOT serve in. If only I had the the money in the first place.....

Comment

Good point. Basically, everywhere from the North, South, East & West. Lucky he didn't drop dead from something nasty.

Comment

I feel like I'm shilling for LMC.

Here is another nice DCLI group. A fairly simple 5-medal bar, but spanning 40 years (1892-93 to 1935) and to a battalion and brigade commander, Martin Newman Turner, CB, CMG, CBE. No Boer service. I have a DCLI group with QSA and WW1 trio, but it's to a member of 2nd Battalion. Maj. Gen. Turner was 1st Battalion. Did they miss out on the Boer War?
              Attached Files

Comment

Turner was Adjutant of the Upper Burma Volunteer Rifles 1897-1902, hence no Boer War service, and had previously served in Burma 1892-93 and 1895-96 ("medal with clasp" per the Brigadier's 1935 "Who's Who?" entry). He also got a Montenegrin Order of Danilo 2nd Class (1917) and a White Russian Order of St. Vladimir 2rd Class (1919)-- also picking up his CBE 1920 for North Russia as well as a 5th "WW1" M.I.D. there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X