Rhodesia Service Pin - Need Some Help ID'ing - Came From Vet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhodesia Service Pin - Need Some Help ID'ing - Came From Vet

Gents - Unlikely as it seems, this Rhodesia pin was once part of a WWII US Army Vet's grouping I obtained. Any idea about it's background? The cotter pin slips in and out just fine on the back. Measures 2 inches wide.

I do not collect British Empire related items, so truth be told was planning on listing on the estand once it's determined as I am clearing out some things before I move.

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Colorado; 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM.
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

It's a cap badge of the Rhodesia Regiment - worth about 4 pounds on ebay, perhaps motre to a collector. Worn for much of the 20th century, up to independence.

Hope this helps.
      Peter
      Last edited by peter monahan; 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Actually it is a Rhodesian General Service cap badge, worn from 1940 until 1980.

Rhodesian soldiers were in the 6th South African Armoured Division, part of the 5th Army in Italy during WW2. May be this where the badge came from ?

Eric
        Last edited by The Saint; 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Thanks for info Gents. Italy? Now, that is interesting. I have in my limited records from the son, that his father had served as a Lieutenant in an Engineer unit in Italy.

Is there a way of telling if this insignia dates from the 1940-44 period based on it's condition and finish?
          Last edited by Colorado; 01-06-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Eric

Dating is a problem for a badge that didn't change in that period of time, but if it came from a vet it's a safe bet that he likely wore it. Not enough wear to say it was worn every day for 3,4,5 years by a keen soldier - features still crips -but the repair o the lug suggests it was worn by someone!

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X