Cardiff fire mans helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiff fire mans helmet

Picked up today this fireman's helmet, which is named on the rim to" No 2460 E.S. ORAM of the Cardiff Fire Brigade".
    The helmet liner is dated 1939, and painted to the front is the writing "DIVISIONAL FIRE STAFF"and on the rim a decal No 20.
    To the side of the helmet there are painted two blue triangles.
    The helmet was found in a local garage.
    Can anybody help me regarding the insignia on the helmet?

Many thanks, Gareth

Pic 1
    Attached Files

Pic 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Pic 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Pic 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice helmet Gareth. I have replied to your post on GHW. Your man was a section officer.

Regards,
            Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve, but what does the decal number 20 mean and also what does the blue triangle signify.

Gareth

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                Thanks Steve, but what does the decal number 20 mean and also what does the blue triangle signify.

Gareth
                20 is the NFS region (Cardiff ?) . The whole country was divided into different regions. The blue triangles will be local markings perhaps "blue section" or some-such thing.

Comment

Nice unusual helmet. I can't add to what has already been said about the markings but I would like to know if anyone can guess what has been scratched away underneath the name? Sometimes the name (and number) are removed but what else might have been scratched off like this?

The top screw does not look original but was obviously changed many years ago, or even during the war. The shell has also been fitted to the liner and painted back to front; note the crimped join at the front of the rim.

Thanks for showing.

Matthew

Comment

Matthew,
                    Thanks for the comment,
                    It had been found in a local garage and was full of spiders and muck from standing all that time there.
                    Regarding the scratched off details I cant see anything perhaps it had is station details before he went to divisional staff?

All the best, Gareth
                    Last edited by Butch; 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I recognise that i think... from Louis Bannon?

Comment

Mike you have good eyes.
                        Yes it is the helmet Louis had, I was there when it came in to the shop a few weeks ago and we done a deal on it this morning.

All the best, Gareth

Comment

Looked more into the bombing of Cardiff during the war and found this information.

Bombing Raids
                          In 1940 Luftwaffe raids occurred on 3 July, 10 July, 12 July and 7 August. Despite the Battle of Britain in 1941 New Year raids occurred on 2 January, 3 January, 10 January then sustained raids developed on 27 February, through 1 March, 4 March, 12 March, 20 March, 3 April, 12 April, 29 April, 30 April, 4 May, to 11 May.

In 1942 fewer raids occurred but two occurred on 30 June and 2 July. In 1943 two of the last raids occurred on 7 May and 18 May.

The bombers used included Dornier Do17 and later Dornier Do 217, Junkers Ju 88 and Messerschmitt Bf 110.

Great to think that this helmet was worn during this time of Cardiff's history.

Many thanks, Gareth

Comment

Gareth
                            When I saw this I liked the polished rim !
                            The owner obviously wanted to stand out as well as having something practical to protect him.
                            Loads of characher to this.
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Butch View Post
                              Looked more into the bombing of Cardiff during the war and found this information.

Bombing Raids
                              In 1940 Luftwaffe raids occurred on 3 July, 10 July, 12 July and 7 August. Despite the Battle of Britain in 1941 New Year raids occurred on 2 January, 3 January, 10 January then sustained raids developed on 27 February, through 1 March, 4 March, 12 March, 20 March, 3 April, 12 April, 29 April, 30 April, 4 May, to 11 May.

In 1942 fewer raids occurred but two occurred on 30 June and 2 July. In 1943 two of the last raids occurred on 7 May and 18 May.

The bombers used included Dornier Do17 and later Dornier Do 217, Junkers Ju 88 and Messerschmitt Bf 110.

Great to think that this helmet was worn during this time of Cardiff's history.

Many thanks, Gareth
                              Sounds like my Grandfather talking, bombed here there... crashed there....

1000th time round

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X