Information sought on W/Cdr. J. K. Buchanan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information sought on W/Cdr. J. K. Buchanan

I am at present researching Beaufighter ace, Wing Commander J. K. "Buck" Buchanan and wonder if anyone lokking at this forum can help?
    He initially flew Wellingtons in 37 Squadron, awarded DFC with this unit in July 1940.
    Later in 1940 posted to 14 Squadron in the Sudan where they were converting to Blenheim IV’s. Saw action with this unit over Eritrea during late 1940, subsequently moved to Egypt in April 1941, then Iraq.
    In November 1941 moved to the desertfor operation “Crusader”, became CO and remained in this role until May 1942.
    Following a rest, posted to Malta in November 1942 to take command of 272 Squadron flying Beaufighters.
    Rested in June 1943 and returned to operations in October 1943 as CO of 227 Squadron based in Berka, Lybia, I think.
    Shot down and unfortunately KIA on 16th Feb 1944 off the coast of Greece.
    I would be grateful for any information/photographs on/of this gallant airman.
    I attach a photograph.
    Thanks,
    Peter.
    Attached Files

Hi Peter,

The only thing I can add is he was awarded a Bar to the DFC per the London Gazette 7/4/1942:1556. His service number if you don't allready have it was 39628. And he is in my May 1939 Air Force List as a Pilot Officer with a date of rank of 1.3.38.

Cheers
    Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,
      Thanks for the information, I do have his service number. The London Gazette information is something to look up.
      Thanks,
      Peter.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X