Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kangol Stamp

Hi all,

I would like to show you this picture of a Kangol Stamp used in a maroon beret.

Comparing it to other 1945 Kangol stamps, I now doubt very much it is an actual Kangol stamp you would expect to find on these 1945 berets.

Noticing some features of this stamp like the "W" of Wear, the arrow and amount of printed dashes to the sides, I think a altered 194.. 6, 7, 8, or 9 Kangol stamp or even a totally new stamp was used here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by deejay; 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM.

Here an enlarged and lighter with some more contrast picture of the same liner.
    Attached Files

Comment

This beret has been moved around as an authentic 1945 piece by top contributors to the British and Commonwealth forum as the owner claims.

I find that rather strange now because it has clearly been messed with which is noticeable after changing the contrast and exposure of the first image.

(Even my wife says the 5 of 1945 has been mucked around with, and she was not even wearing her glasses ).

Anyway, here it is and of coarse: All your comments are welcome on this issue.

Thanks,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by deejay; 11-25-2009, 05:59 PM.

Comment

A quick search on this forum about these stamps:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...84#post3648984

Same arrow aswell.

Comment

I concur, new bogus stamp. an original beret has recently sold on the internet. the font style is different as are the numbers , plus the WD arrow is the wrong shape, plus other anomalies. given that the technology is available to enable " perfect " copies , those that are responsible have no desire to end up receiving back " their " products at a later date. original berets have always been a rare commodity

Comment

You know mate, look at the beret I posted, I would say these Kangol stamps are the same for sure,

now the question is, does anyone have post war dated kangol berets, they can post up, eg 47/48

and Im the same mate, my beret passed though quite afew hands of the high end collectors of this site as well

Comment

As I already told you the 5 looks like it has been tempered with. My first impression is that it is a post-war beret with the date changed, that would explain why the cloth looks damaged. The WD stamp would reveal this.
              However, I'll go over my files as it might be a complete fake stamp.

Luc

Comment

Seller

Firstly i am the person who sold the Beret to Dirk and did so in good faith.I purchased the beret from a forum member who contributes to the British and Commonwealth part of the forum.
                I have e mailed him for his comments about the beret and will wait for his contribution about the beret.If i remember correctly the WD stamp was an E.
                Alan

Comment

Hello Alan,

if you go here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...84#post3648984

there is quite abit of talk about the E stamp

I would love to know where the original buyers from the forum got these from

Comment

I have only one other 1945 beret and its WD mark is a Z with the number 966 below the broad arrow.
                    Attached Files

Comment

wd mark

wd mark
                      Attached Files

Comment

The last beret you show Alan63 is a good 1945 exsample with the correct Z over wd.The first you show seems to be indeed the same KiwiRic posted recently.So my thought is both are 1947 originals with correct E over wd stamps for 1947,but the last date digit temperd with to make them into ww2 exsamples.It thus seems that the 1947 way of writing kangol wear limited is different from ww2 exsamples,not that strange as it seems to differ in details between for instance a 1943 and 1945 exsample as well.

It would be interesting to see some other 1947 berets as they should also have the E and the different way of wrinting the makersmark.

Also 1946 and 1948 berets would be interesting.

Comment

Uk member Liam Ashall

I purchased the Beret from Uk member Liam Ashall.I have asked him to join the debate about the beret.He trades on ebay as member Liam8462.One can see from his feedback that quite a few forum members have purchased items from him.He says he is not an expert but clearly his recent posts on the forum about berets would suggest otherwise.
                          Alan

Comment

take a look at WD Militaria

Comment

If I compare the stampings to what pictures I have on file and to what I have in my collection, there are quite a few anomalies: K, a, size stamp, date stamp, broadarrow.
                              I'm sure that some could be explained by different paint brands that Kangol possibly used, or even difference in temperature when the paint was applied or a different pressure that was used to place the stamp.
                              As a whole, I believe it to be a fake stamp that was applied by someone unaware of the significance of the "E" stamp.

I'm looking forward to hear from Liam.

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X