No announcement yet.

Ww2 sas beret - ebay #350280611284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though if I was a betting man I'd put money on Mr. Thomas knowing that already.

Comment

Hi Liam,

Thank you for replying but Seekings is talking about that in relation to operations in France is he not? I am not questioning the taking of precautions in view of the Hitler 'Commando' order. I am well aware of that and have spoken to several SAS veterans about it in the past. What I was questioning was a previous statement made claiming that precuations in relation to that order were still being made during the drive through Germany. All the photographs I have seen and texts I have read dealing with the SAS in WW2 suggest they had disregarded such precautions by that late state in the war. Of course there are always exceptions but I was looking for some sources to back up such a claim. Thanks.

Originally posted by ARTE ET MARTE View Post
      Re SAS wearing the black beret,

From "THE ORIGINALS" by Gordon Stevens, page 283.

Reg Seekings, " Hitler had given the orders that we SAS were to be shot on sight, so they gave us a new identity, classified us as tank corps, gave us new pay books, and we wore black berets"

He later goes on to say that they ditched them in favour of the maroon beret again as the Germans would not put up so much of a fight when faced by Airborne troops!!
      thanks, Liam.

Comment

beret question

I asked sevaral ex regiment guys and people who know an awful lot about the subject and all agree that a black beret was never worn.

Comment

Hi Des,
          The period refered to is after France and it refers to the operations after landing in Belgium and crossing the Rhine. Seekings makes a number of references to the black beret.
          One when is support of Canadian Paratroops who would not believe Tankies could fight the way they did but were a little happier when they discovered the troops in the jeeps were "Red berets" like themselves.
          Later, he mentions being caught in an SS ambush with the Inns of Court Regiment who were not returning the SS fire. Seekings almost had to order his 2i/c, Maj Poat to order their Capt to open fire which they eventually did.
          He goes on to say, "Thats when I went and got red berets. That made a lot of difference.............but thats when i disobeyed orders, I went back against orders and got the red berets ."
          The fact that his men were wearing black berets was of great concern to him and as RSM at the time I am sure his memories are correct.
          thanks, Liam.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X