Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching British Medals

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to look up named British medals and get the soldier's military records? I have some named 1914-1915 Stars that I have always wanted to research without paying big bucks. Can this be done?

Thanks,
    Eddie
    Attached Files

Try the British Archives online?

I did the same thing as you are trying to do and pulled the scans of the recipients medal card from here...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ine/medals.asp

It costs 2 pounds per card although you usually end up with the other 6 on the page.

Cheers
    Geof

Comment

And here it is. Not bad for $3.32!

Thanks for all of your help!!!
      Eddie
      Attached Files
      Last edited by EMSMIT2; 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

You can get better, clearer (colour) images of the MIC, and quite possibly a lot more information on the soldier using Ancestry. However, it can be costly so if only researching one or 2 soldiers, and depending on the depth of research you want to undertake, it may not be cost effective.

There are other internet sites such as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the London Gazette that can provide good amounts of information if the soldier was a (fatal) casualty, or commissioned/decorated.

There are lots of other specialty sites that have in depth info on specific regiments, units and campaigns as well. Always worth a look and running online searches can often prove fruitful.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X