Ex Naval Octant ? Sextant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex Naval Octant ? Sextant

Yesterday, late afternoon in the rain/darkness, I dropped into our local tip/recycling centre, they were just getting ready to close, I quickly put the recycling into the paper bin and then went to check their rubbish bins to see what had been thrown in.
    I saw in the last bin the item pictured below, which I thought was a sextant, and lent into the skip and pulled it out, moments before the centres digger crushed down the contents of the bin, ready for more rubbish to be thrown in !
    Armed with this item and a bag of new paintbrushes (also in the bin, I've got some decorating to do soon), I went off to find the chap running the tip and was charged the grand sum of £1.
    Now having looked on the net, I have found out it is an Octant and was made around 1790 early 1800's, the is no makers name that I can see (it is missing an Ivory label from the central bar), but the ivory scale along the bottom has a fouled anchor on it (see last photo), is this possibley a Royal Navy mark ?
    The Octant measures a massive 16 inches high and 13 inches wide, it is ebony framed, with brass fittings and ivory scales.
    Anyone any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Files

Rear view
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up of Anchor mark, how could anybody throw this into the rubbish ?
      Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X