No announcement yet.

Para Beret Odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the last pictures i see a nice maroon beret with all the good features whit no date. The stamping what i see if its been wet looks like its been messed with.
    On the other hand, why make a fake date unvisible?
    Its confusing. If i had to buy such a beret, i would need to have 110% provenance or to buy it at a very, very low price. If you are on a fair you dont have a can of water with you, and i think the seller woudn`t be happy if you soaked it.

Jeroen

Comment

would it help you guys if I took a good picture of the E wd 212 issue stamp?

Comment

Okay ,now according to this post made by Airborne collector friend Patrick[also a member here] on Tommytalk

http://www.tommy-talk.com/viewtopic....=asc&start=285

E is 1948!

I myself added that E was also used in 1942,but my only evidence is Ade,s beret and I do not believe it has a date on it?Anyone pics of a 1942 dated beret with the E?

So E could have been used in 1942,but it was used in 1948!

the list was compiled from markings found on all kinds of items over time.

Looking better at Rics beret,I first thought maby the letters have thinned down or a bad print.I imagend what it would look like if the letters were thicker and noticed that even if they were, the letters in Limeted are spaced to far from the each other[something like L i mited].I agree with Greg that the A is different on different dated berets,so maybe its okay,I only compared it with my 1945 one before..But something is wrong with this stamp!

Also 1948 seems to fit the vageu date stamp,thought by Ric to be a 5.

Maybe this beret once had a postwar Kangol stamp[kangol above wear limetid] this was taken of and a fake stamp added,and faded to hide the fact it was messed with?Or did kangol still use the one line stamp in 1948?|
        Then there is the second broadarrow,never seen this on a wartime kangol either.

Still not sure on this one.But hope its just us stichcounters and the beret is just a bit odd.

Regards Johan

Comment

Originally posted by jelle View Post
          E is 1948!
          I have found most items with an E are from 1947.

Luc

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMMM
            Verdomme Luc
            Could it be like the same as you can find Z on 1944 gear aswell as 1945?

Comment

It seems my previous post was inaccurate. I have seen R on 1948 and 1947 dated items but I have found E only on 1947 items. Patrick thinks it is for 1947 as well. But I supose it it is possible to find another match.

Luc

Comment

Damn ,I see now I read patricks list wrongShould now my postwar stuff better.So much for the 1948 theory.But have you found E on wartime items Luc?

Comment

No, Ade's beret is the only reference I have.

Luc

Comment

ok 2 more photos, here I am trying to hold the beret as flat as I can

Comment

Hi all,

I think that Kangol finished using the full line 'Kangol Wear Limited' in 1947
                      and started using the 'Kangol' 'Limited' beneath eachother in 1948.

During 1948 the Company had a redirection towards sports and fashion with supply of the British team with berets at the 1948 London Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by vd Lubbe View Post
                        started using the 'Kangol' 'Limited' beneath eachother in 1948.
                        I think they were still using the old skool stamp in 1948 and changed in 1949.

Luc

Comment

Please look at this stamp too (notice the W).

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=396700

Comment

WD stamps

I have a few clearly marked 1942 para berets by different British makers. The letter ā€œOā€ appears above the WD in all of mine. I have only seen ā€œEā€ on post-war berets.

Comment

Thanks for the reply its great to keep this thread going

Anyone with a uniform item or beret with E? would love to see the photo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X