A helmet I wish I'd kept.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A helmet I wish I'd kept.

About 30 years ago I bought a tatty old British MK1 helmet for £3. It was a standard army helmet and not in very good condition. I already had many like it and most were in better condition. The only reason I bought it was because it had some names written in pencil all over it, and it looked interesting. Lots of the names I'd never heard of, so I never really paid it much attention ( I was young and stupid !). I had it at the back of my collection for a few years but sold it along with all the others when I stopped collecting Brit helmets in about 1982.
    Well, I visted my parents this weekend and had fun looking through my old stuff with my kids. On the back of a piece of paper we found a list I had made years ago. It was all the names on the helmet. Of course I recognise most of them now. However there are still a few I need help with.

Here's the list:

Liseux
    Caen
    Tilly
    Siene
    Lehavre
    Laroche
    St Valery
    Amiens
    Abbeville
    Arras
    Mons
    Namur
    Goes
    Antwerp
    Venco
    Eindhoven
    Nijmegen
    Arnhem
    Krefeld
    Dusseldorf
    Essen
    Minden
    Hanover
    Hamburg

Madines
    Coeh
    Casseless

The spellings may be wrong, but does anyone recognise the last three ?

I am pretty sure the helmet belonged to a soldier in XXX corps. If I can confirm it, I intend to plot the route he took on a European map.

If anyone has this helmet in their collections I would love to buy it back.

Steve

Venco is most likely Venlo,no idea about the 3.

Comment

Of the last three Casseless could possibly be "Celles" which is a little town in Belgium during the ardennes campaign 30 Corps passed through this village on the 27th December 1944.

I think your right with the units though theirs certainly a lot of places listed which points to 30 corps but it might be possible to narrow it down even more.

Very interesting Steve!
      Scott

Comment

Hello Steve

To bad you sold it. Coeh is Coo near stavelot and Trois Points (belgium) XXX Corps came from Lommel to Valkenswaard on 17th september 1944, the next day the arrived in Eindhoven.

regards erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin L View Post
          Hello Steve

To bad you sold it. Coeh is Coo near stavelot and Trois Points (belgium) XXX Corps came from Lommel to Valkenswaard on 17th september 1944, the next day the arrived in Eindhoven.

regards erwin

That's great. Thanks for the info.

( BTW, Thanks Jelle you are correct- it is Venlo - I couldn't read my own writing !)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X