WW II Unit Helmet Decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW II Unit Helmet Decals

In regard to WW II British and Canadian unit decals, were they usually worn on the front of the helmet or the side on the helmet? Were there any regulations regarding the wear of these decals?

In WW2 almost all of the unit decals I have seen or own appear on the sides of a helmet. In was much more common for them to appear on the front of helmets during the First World War however.

I will leave it to more knowledgeable members here to answer the question on regulations.

Matthew

Comment

AFAIK, this was a tolerated regimental practice, never included in the official Army regulations.

Eric

Comment

Helmet decals

I have researched this topic here in Canada and it was, at least in this country, covered in regulations. The helmet decals worn by the Canadian army were procured by Canadian Ordnance and records exist at LAC regarding the units/formations that wore them, who made them and how many were issued. There are also pamphlets on how to apply them. During WW 2 they were to be worn on the side of the helmet.

Regards

Ken

Originally posted by The Saint View Post
        AFAIK, this was a tolerated regimental practice, never included in the official Army regulations.

Eric

Comment

The only WW2 unit marked helmets that I have seen are marked on the side. WW1 marking/badging is a mix of on the side or front/back (sometimes a mix of front and side see posted example).
          -Lee

Originally posted by tubist73 View Post
          In WW2 almost all of the unit decals I have seen or own appear on the sides of a helmet. In was much more common for them to appear on the front of helmets during the First World War however.

I will leave it to more knowledgeable members here to answer the question on regulations.

Matthew
          Attached Files

Comment

Ken:

Do Canadian Regulations specify which side of the helmet decals were to be worn on?

Do you have any idea how many Canadian units/formations wore decals on their helmets?

Comment

Ken:

Since unit decals were an issued item in the Canadian Army, should we then be more skeptical of helmets with painted unit emblems on them?

When did the Canadian Army first start issuing unit decals?

Do you know if any Canadian unit were issued decals while serving in a combat zone (i.e. Italy)?

Comment

hi, i have 2 british helmets with decals on the front. 1 is royal artillery, & has the red/blue flash on the side of the helmet, the other is a home guard helmet belonging to the rifle brigade, but i suppose could also have been used on the regular army helmets.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X