X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help needed, CEF medals/photos grouping

Hi guys
    not over here often enough!

well, with hundreds of nazi crosses through my hands over the years, none of them has meant as much as this following grouping!
    I've finally got hold of my grandad's medals, and it's taken years of delicate negotiations
    These are probably my most treasured and 'valuable' possessions!

There's not much info about him, I have as much info as I could get from the Canadian war office, but nowhere could I find what these medals actually mean, or when/where he got them. I'm guessing they're 'standard' WW1 CEF issue, and are quite common. The bravery one, a little more special? as he had it made 'wearable', again any info would be of help...

I do know he was in trouble for 'malingering at the front' and even served time in a british prison for months of AWOL! Which I'm very glad of, as he seemed to make it from the front, back to england and married my grandma (and here I am!) then back to the front!
    He made it right through the war, to the very end, with shrapnel in his leg, two new tattoos, and a bad gassing, which lead him to retire in florida ('for his lungs')

The medals are nicely engraved with his name etc
    anyone know what order I should display them? (I'm thinking of mounting/framing) or even where I can maybe get an accompanying ribbon bar made up for display?

I also have these few photos, again any info would be fantastic
    I'm guessing the first two are in 'Aldershot' in England? training maybe? although I can't recognize him
    the last two are a mystery...

anyways, I'd be grateful for help, thoughts, or any info whatsoever
    thanks

regards
    jon

Hi Jon,

A lovely group, and it's fantastic you've managed to acquire them. I think family medals are the most precious myself.

You can find his attestation papers here:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...qsjgsfe1pgcuo7

You can order a copy of his full service file from the National Archives or via a private researcher. Let me know if you need any help regarding this.

The correct order of wear would be (left to right):

1. Military Medal ("For Bravery in the Field")
    2. 1914-15 Star
    3. British War Medal (silver)
    4. Victory Medal

If you wanted to find a matching ribbon bar, it's a fairly common combination so if you poked around on ebay for awhile and had a bit of patience I think you could find a period made (ie. 1920s/30s - ish) made ribbon bar very cheaply.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Commonwealth medals - much more interesting than that anonymous Nazi stuff!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks Adam
      I'll get them in the right order!
      and that's the link I found before, and applied for all his full records etc. I was amazed that these records even exist! very exciting

I'll be checking ebay for the bar too, that's a much better idea than having a new one made up.

any thoughts on the pics?
      regards
      jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

When I first replied I was at work...now am home and able to look a few more things up for you. Here is his entry on a medal roll for the MM to the CEF:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Adam/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <woNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} p.MsoFooter, li.MsoFooter, div.MsoFooter {margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; tab-stops:center 212.6pt right 425.2pt; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>MARSHALL P H 58022 L/CPL INF 20 BN OCT 07,18

The date indicates that his MM was published in the London Gazette on October 7th, 1918.

Earlier awards of the MM have a better chance of having a surviving citation that will enlighten us regarding the circumstances surrounding the award. However, some 1918 awards do have citations. You'll find this in his service file.

Another avenue for research is the Battalion War Diary. Luckily these are available electronically via the same Archives site. He was an original member of the battalion so the entire battalion war diary may be of interest. However, as a general rule (not an exact science!) awards were GENERALLY published in the London Gazette 2-3 months after the action took place. So, by deduction, the MM was likely awarded for fighing taking place in August 1918. I would say very likely for the Battle of Amiens.

I'll do some more digging and see if I can find out any more leads for you...

As for the photos let me get back to you once I have checked a few further sources...

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X