Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd bayonet.....

Hello all,

a friend of mine has had a particulary good find of boxes of good quality webbing, holsters, and all sorts of equipment related items from a recent buying spree spanning Zulu, Boer, WW1, WW2 and post war items.

All lumped in together as a job lot.

He has been pulling treasure of the boxes form the best part of 7 days....mixed in are of course some odd items, one of which is this bayonet.

Any ideas as to how it came to be in this configeration would be most welcome.

Interesting item or someone bored in a shed one afternoon with a grinder?

I am so far removed from this field i have no idea at all!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Patrick

Interesting.

The webbing looks British.

The design of the grips and pommel slightly reminscent of German S98/05 bayonets.

Not a standard military pattern IMO - probably a one off home made knife.

Does it have any means of attachment to a rifle ?

Regards

Richie

Comment

This is a very interesting item.

I`ll go with the description above in regards to all the parts its has been made from. My personal opinion is that this is a British made trench knife perhaps Home Guard ww2?

The knife could of been made up from broken bayonet parts that some keen member of the HG gathered together to manufacture a knife.

You need to research who the manufacturer of the blade was...the V W Cutter chap.

Comment

Hello Gents,

thanks for the replies regarding the oddball item, much appreciated indeed.

I don't have the object to hand ( it lives a few miles away from me) i will check to see it it can be attached to anything.
                  Checking the maker is indeed solid advice!

Patrick.

Comment

Cheers Pat for posting this dagger for me, im afraid i cannot find anything on the name ''cutter'' and it has no means to attatch to a rifle, this one might have to go into ''the box ''till i find some evidence on manufacture. Cheers gents for the replies. Regards Pete.

Comment

Havn't been able to find out anything on Cutter but I'm sure it's a knife not a bayonet, looks to have a lanyard ring and no means of attaching to a rifle. Possibly been made out of parts but not sure, the grip/handle has a Germanic look but also reminds of some field made/modified weapons used in the Far East
                      Lee

Comment

Chimera

Looks like it has had a swept back quillon reminiscent of the Butcher type bayonets of WW1,then ground down. The pommell though with the eye hole,never seen one of those before,can't be attached to any rifle either?,fighting knife then. Is the handle all one piece or has it been put together and filed down? Let's just call in Chimera.
                        Oddly enough I like it! The Home Guard idea is a good one.
                        Regards,Ivan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X