Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merchant Navy Uniforms Any Interest.

Hi,
    today I was given by an old sailor his complete uniform, pants, tunic, dress whites? visor cap and some white over clothing he said was for camoflauge purposes. Does this make any sense. Its been stored for 40 years or more and the cap has been crushed but is repairable. I mean do I ditch it or are there collectors out there. I dont know if its Australian or English the chap is from England. If anyone has any interest I will post some photographs.
    cheers Robert

I for one would be interested in seeing some photos of this uniform. It is outside my normal collecting interest ( BD tunics etc) however I do have an RCAF BD. WOuld like to see the Merchant Navy uniform.

Comment

Merchant Navy

Seems noone has any interest, heres the Cap with insignia. I dont know if its WW2 era but anyhow if you know tell me.
      cheers Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Merchant Navy

The Cap.
        Attached Files

Comment

Merchant Navy

I tried researching on the net, was the Merchant navy one organization or did they sail under their individual shipping lines.
          Attached Files

Comment

Merchant Navy

The caps beat but the uniform is in reasonable condition. The shoulderboards are marked to the underneath MILLER, RAYNER & HAYSOM LIMITED, is this the Shipping line?
            Attached Files

Comment

The Merchant Navy is one WW2 collecting field which has been overlooked (apart from the medals). The Russian convoys in WW2 were extremely dangerous thanks to the Germans. Once you landed in the water you were as good as dead and that happened a lot. Do a google search for 'Russian Convoys'. The Russians thought those convoys so valuable they even gave the brave sailors a medal!

If you are interested in the Merchant Navy the best book you can buy in my opinion is 'The Red Duster at War' by John Slader. I am recommending this book because it lists an incredible number of ships and this is very valuable for tracing the careers of Merchant Sailors during WW2.

In regards to your uniform the shipping line in question is the P&O Line. All your hat needs is a good brushing and then seating on a glass head. I think the condition is rather good myself.

Last edited by yellow; 09-27-2009, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Hi,

There are Naval collectors out there but they are few and far between. Consequently WW2 Naval Uniforms don't tend to fetch very high prices. I don't know whether you are looking to sell it or just find a good home for it? eBay or the Estand might be the best venues for selling. Alternatively you could perhaps try contacting a Naval museum to see if they might be interested in taking it as a donation.

Comment

Value depends on what the chap did who wore the uniform. There are merchant navy records for WW2 online. It would appear your man was an officer, although its hard to know with out looking at all the shoulder boards you have.

If your man rammed and sunk a u-boot then thats surely one for keeps!

Comment

Merchant navy

Actually the old sailor tried donating to a maritime musuem but they didnt want it. Theres his black pants and jacket, the white shirt/jacket, some white coats one similar to the german snow camos and some other items Im not sure what to call. Some of the items are made in Bombay and Calcutta so I guess he sailed around the Indian Sea at times.
                    cheers Robert.

Comment

I am sure the Australian Memorial would want it.

The Japanese were very active around India and Ceylon. My uncle Stan used to operate his mine sweeper around those coasts. Saw some rather terrible things.

Are there any medal ribbons on any of the uniforms?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X