Norweigan Raf Pilots WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norweigan Raf Pilots WW2

Were there any Raf Norweigan pilots that served during WW2? I've seen an Irvin jacket which may possibly have a Norge connection. Don't have my book with me otherwise would have looked first.

See:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/norway/norwaypilot.shtml

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
      Thanks lnijherald. Nice collection there

Comment

Originally posted by clarky View Post
        Were there any Raf Norweigan pilots that served during WW2? I've seen an Irvin jacket which may possibly have a Norge connection. Don't have my book with me otherwise would have looked first.
        There were indeed; there were two Norwegian fighter squadrons (331 and 332), two maritime patrol squadrons (330 and 334) as well as a transport flight. Aditionally, a number of Norwegian pilots served with RAF bomber squadrons. A total of 2500 officers and men were serving in the Norwegian air force in the UK on 31/12/44.

The equipment was almost exclusively RAF, of course, although a few items seem to have been brought over from the Norwegian air forces flying school in Canada. So, finding an Irvin jacket with a Norwegian connection is not surprising.

Uniform-wise, like with other allied nations, the Norwegians had their own service dress, quite similar to the RAF officer's service dress, but with pleated skirt pockets with scalloped flaps. Officer's rank insignia (silver stars) were worn on the collar. Shoulder titles "NORGE" on left shoulder, Norwegian flag on right shoulder. Other ranks used the RAF Battledress, so too did officers on appropriate occations. RAF FS cap with Norwegian insignia and a single ornamental button replacing the two working buttons were also used by all ranks, with the RAF style peaked cap with Norwegian national crest and cocade used by officers (for both BD and SD)

I might have expanded slightly beyond the scope of your question here, clarky, but at least ya'll will know what you are looking at if you find a WWII Norwegian Air Force uniform... :-)

Bjørn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X