Splitting Groupings and Personal Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splitting Groupings and Personal Items

What is your view on splitting items that once belonged to a serviceman?. Whether it's uniforms, his medals or even photos. Should the items be kept together? or is it alright to split them up?. I'm torn on this one. I've seen some items but they're being sold separatly but all belonged to the same man.

??

My personal view on this is that groups should never be split up.In the first place i think it is an insult to the soldier who have earned them and secondly they are pieces of history that should be together.I see many times that groups are being split just to make more profit it makes ma want to trow up.

just my 2 cents

Comment

I hate to see it happen. Some do it out of necessity but many more do it out of pure greed.
      A real shame because untouched and identified groupings have so much history.

Mark

Comment

Theres nothing like increasing profit potential

You chaps have to remember that you cannot be a collector and a dealer. In other words you have to be a situation where you dont care about what your selling as long as it brings some wedge home. By splitting a lot four times, you can sell it four times which means not only will you make one lump of profit, you will make four!

What, you only collect belt buckles......not belts.........no problem I can toss this this WW1 leather belt away so you can have the German buckle at a reduced price. Got to look after my customers you know.

Why not go out your way to annoy collectors? Have them chase around the world trying to reunite lots. Its a new contagious hobby called 'reuniting'. With out the splitters collectors wouldnt have a purpose in life. Yesterday I broke up a group lot by using Turbo listing making it impossible for anyone interested in every lot to bid snipe every item. The lots ended on the same minute. The bits I had left over I listed on .com , au to make the reunite a lot harder even added a few buy it now!

Cynical sarcasm post over. I think we can all agree splitting is BAD and its only idiot peanut brains who do it.
        Last edited by yellow; 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I can understand the guys who try to keep groupings together but finally give up because no one wants to buy the group. It's bad enough trying to sell individual items at times let alone quite a few pieces together.
          It's the ones who split groupings specifically for profit or remove select pieces then sell the rest that I don't like.

Mark

Comment

In which case make the group lots reasonable to buy. Stop the charging of hundreds of pounds when there physically isn't hundreds of pounds worth of material in the grouping!

I actually think that splitting groups is a lazy cop out. Being a dealer (something I am not an expert at) is in my opinion is about building a customer base. If you dont know who to sell the item too, dont buy it or get off your rear and find that person!
            Last edited by yellow; 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Not

Not really a good thing to do .... But ! if you are not the owner, then it is not your decision as to what you do with the items .. it's as simple as that.

Also, .. you might like to check through the search function, ... this has been flogged to death quite a few times between the "fourth Reichers", .. and opinions haven't changed over the whole of the subject..

Comment

You have a point Gary although that philosophy will not win you any popularity contests or more importantly customers.

I think if anyone here were a splitter I would probably out of spite start ignoring posts made by them in regards requests for infornation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                  Not really a good thing to do .... But ! if you are not the owner, then it is not your decision as to what you do with the items .. it's as simple as that.

Also, .. you might like to check through the search function, ... this has been flogged to death quite a few times between the "fourth Reichers", .. and opinions haven't changed over the whole of the subject..

Sorry, should have checked out search first. I presumed general opinion would be to keep it together. I feel guilty actually as I have on one occassion split some personal items of a particular soldier. It's criminal to do it and I've regretted it ever since. I won't say what it was but I wouldn't dream of doing it again.

Comment

W

Clarky,
                    I wasn't having a go mate, .... it's just one of them subjects that does get turned over from time to time ....

It's sad to see a grouping split ... NONE of us like to see it, ... but if it's in the hands of someone prepared to break it up, then unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do ! ..

Cheers

Gary J.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                      Clarky,
                      I wasn't having a go mate, .... it's just one of them subjects that does get turned over from time to time ....

It's sad to see a grouping split ... NONE of us like to see it, ... but if it's in the hands of someone prepared to break it up, then unfortunately there's nothing anyone can do ! ..

Cheers

Gary J.
                      I know, no offence taken at all. I was just pointing out that I should have checked the search facility first. Still getting to grips with this. Been going through Search actually and found a quite a few points I wanted to raise have been covered.

Comment

I always try to keep groups together but I know some dealers split them, not always for the profit angle but because the medal guys usually only want the medals, uniform guys want the uniform etc. I have sold complete groups together before and refused to split them up only to see parts of it on ebay or at fairs weeks later.
                        I had a scarce set of insignia(plus other bits) to one guy and got hassled by a couple of collectors to sell one of the badges, with remarks like 'What do you need two for, that's greedy!', but as far as I was concerned the set had been together 60 plus years and that the way it was staying.
                        Rant over
                        Lee

Comment

Well what about putting former splitt up groups together. I mannaged to get some dozen pics and one ID disk from a 1stCPB soldier. After a year i did see that his medals, AB64, patches and the missing ID disk were for sale. I was lucky to buy that to.

Jeroen

Comment

Originally posted by JEROEN1944 View Post
                            Well what about putting former splitt up groups together.

Jeroen
                            Yes, me too, managed to reunite a few split groups
                            Lee

Comment

I would never ever split a group. I HATE to see this happen. I too have managed to reunite some items in the past.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X