WW2 Raf Uniform & Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Raf Uniform & Cap

Just bought a couple of really nice bits to add to my collection. This cap and a very nice uniform. Shame the tunic and trousers are too small but will be OK for display. What do you all think?. I'm always looking for Raf WW2 and Battle Of Britain period items. Particularly interested in collecting bits of downed Hurricanes, ME109's Spitfire's Lancs etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-RCAF-F...d=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESOX:IT

Number 1 how much ???

Number 2 I personally wouldnt buy anything of him .

Appart from that great . Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

RE: the "Battle of Britain" uniform; the actual uniform is dated 1942, not 1940! Even if it was dated 1940, how could it be verified to have been issued or worn during the BoB? Medal ribbons on the tunic are for the Africa Star, and Defence Medal. Only aircrew recieved the 39-45 Star, with BoB clasp.
      I may very well be wrong, but the price for that cap seems high to me.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Prices are WAY too high
        Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
          RE: the "Battle of Britain" uniform; the actual uniform is dated 1942, not 1940! Even if it was dated 1940, how could it be verified to have been issued or worn during the BoB? Medal ribbons on the tunic are for the Africa Star, and Defence Medal. Only aircrew recieved the 39-45 Star, with BoB clasp.
          I may very well be wrong, but the price for that cap seems high to me.

Bob Shoaf
          Cap was expensive and I got a bit carried away. I've seen 1940 dated uniforms go for alot more than what I paid on dealers lists which is why I paid what I did for this 42 dated. Happy with the price I paid for these tho. The kit bag is 1940 period but he was posted to Nth Africa after the uniform was issued. hence the Africa Star.

Comment

In all honesty....and not meaning to be rude, but you paid that for an ORs tunic? Ouch

Comment

Originally posted by clarky View Post
              Cap was expensive and I got a bit carried away. I've seen 1940 dated uniforms go for alot more than what I paid on dealers lists which is why I paid what I did for this 42 dated. Happy with the price I paid for these tho. The kit bag is 1940 period but he was posted to Nth Africa after the uniform was issued. hence the Africa Star.
              I wouldn't believe everything that dealer says. He tends to "add" to items to enhance their perceived value.

Comment

The number on the kit bag seems to fall into the 1950 enlistment block, which doesnt tie in well with this being an original grouping.

Alistair

Comment

Not sure about the kit bag, the story or Africa Star info the dealer told you but it is a nice clean set, 42 dated cap and jacket, also trousers have a 1942 A/V stamp which you don't often see in RAF items.
                  Lee

Comment

Original groupings from this seller are a contradiction in terms.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by Old Smelly View Post
                      Not sure about the kit bag, the story or Africa Star info the dealer told you but it is a nice clean set, 42 dated cap and jacket, also trousers have a 1942 A/V stamp which you don't often see in RAF items.
                      Lee
                      In all honesty I bought the uniform for the conditon and already removed the ribbon bars. Just liked the classic shape of the tunic. Cap I paid well too much for and should have known better. I always seem to get engossed in bidding on E Bay!!!! and it cost me dear!

Comment

Originally posted by clarky View Post
                        In all honesty I bought the uniform for the conditon and already removed the ribbon bars. Just liked the classic shape of the tunic. Cap I paid well too much for and should have known better. I always seem to get engossed in bidding on E Bay!!!! and it cost me dear!
                        Sadly, I've seen many a Service Dress cap go for similar prices....I don't know who out there is snapping them up for ridiculous cash, but I must say that amongst all the ridiculous bidders out there, you didn't do too badly....but for those of us who wouldn't dare have gone that high.....yoikes. Now if it was a Groupie's hat, then you're in the ballpark

Comment

Originally posted by LuftMike View Post
                          Sadly, I've seen many a Service Dress cap go for similar prices....I don't know who out there is snapping them up for ridiculous cash, but I must say that amongst all the ridiculous bidders out there, you didn't do too badly....but for those of us who wouldn't dare have gone that high.....yoikes. Now if it was a Groupie's hat, then you're in the ballpark
                          That's just it. I've been looking on various dealers lists and good conditon MINT unforms are going for more. Maybe they just don't want to sell them I don't know.

Comment

Clarky I think sometimes we just cant keep up with prices nowadays . I sold 2 RAF Officers caps on ebay both for about £30 that was a few of years back and they were quite small . When you compare it to a Luftwaffe Officers peaked cap the price is quite reasonable . Rob
                            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
                              Clarky I think sometimes we just cant keep up with prices nowadays . I sold 2 RAF Officers caps on ebay both for about £30 that was a few of years back and they were quite small . When you compare it to a Luftwaffe Officers peaked cap the price is quite reasonable . Rob
                              Very true, I think something is worth what one is willing to pay for it regardless of the value. With collectable items it isn't a depreciating asset like a car and collectors realise that, and in time, they realise the items will increase in value even if they pay over the odds. I know I have a few pals that are burying there money in collectables rather than their pension!.

Maybe the reason big dealers stick the huge prices on is that they can afford to sit on the items while they go up in value every year, although prices are in deflatory mode at present I would have thought

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X