Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info on early KD RAF FS Cap

Hi all,

I've got my hands on what seems to be an early Khaki Drill Field Service Cap (sidecap). It is broad-arrow stamped 1917, but has a RAF badge.

The badge, although a little bit difficult to see on the substandard pictures my camera takes, is curved, intentionally, it seems.

I have not been able to find any references to this cap or its use anywhere; could any of this board's esteemed members shed any light on when and where these caps were use? Are they rare?

Thank you,

Bjørn

Interesting combination. A couple points from my knowledge :

1. RAF was formed April 1 1918 .. allthough not to say an RAF badge couldn't be put on an older cap.

2. This style does not match any RFC forage caps that I have seen or owned. They do not vent holes and they have two buttons to the front of the cap.

I wouldn't want to put my foot in my mouth and pass judgement but for me this just does not seem right.

Comment

Definitely interesting...I'd like better photos before commenting further, but I have a hypothesis

Comment

Hi Bjørn, welcome to the forum.

Sorry this cap is a complete fake. The stamps are bogus.

The cap itself is a West German Army cap. Look at the front: you can see where the diamond shaped national colours cockade has been removed.

The cap badge seems OK.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

I agree with Ade West German moleskin . Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Heh......my hypothesis was correct

Comment

That's easy to say, but you didn't share your hypothesis with us first.

Luc

Comment

Nice markings though. If they had been one some post WW1 KIt that was identical to the WW1 pattern it would of fooled me. In the words of Frazer from Dads Army....the seller needs to be....."Exposed to the world!"

If you look close enough on the first pic you can see where the cloth diamond cloth cockade has been removed. I remember having one of these hats in the 1980's to play with, are they worth anything yet?

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Adrian, you are of course absolutely right, the marks from the BW kokarde are quite obvious.

This is so embarassing...
                  (Good thing I didn't pay much for it!)

Bjørn

Comment

It's a tropical posr war 1960's cap. I have one here. Diamond roundel at the front removed. These were alsoi made in winter weight and the same style applied to the modren day Luftawafee iwth blue wool and yellow piping. Tunics were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                      That's easy to say, but you didn't share your hypothesis with us first.

Luc
                      I know, but I sure knew it wasn't British! I couldn't remember whether or not I'd seen the markings, picture wasn't the greatest

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X