Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p40 BD & greatcoat, brigade piron?

Hello all,

I've got these 3 uniform pieces in one lot. It's a P40 wool BD blouse, a denim blouse and greatcoat. I believe these all to be original, but I'm not sure about the insignia.

Let's start with the greatcoat:
    The coat has two second pattern Brigade Piron badges on each sleeve, but to my knowledge, only rank insignia or service strips were allowed on the sleeves of the greatcoat? Can anyone tell if the insignia is wartime or postwar?
    details of coat:

details of insignia: They look repaired post war?

Last edited by Jakke; 09-21-2009, 07:30 AM.

Now time for the wool Battledress blouse:

The blouse has one shoulder title "Belgium" on the left sleeve and 2 arm of service strips on each sleeve (I believe them to be infantry, because of the light red colour?). The strips measure 61mm to 6mm.
    Anyone can shed a light on their authenticity?

Comment

Sorry if I overload you with all these pictures. If one thinks I should make seperate topics for this, just give me a sign.

Last up is this denim BD blouse, wich has some shoulder strap loops I don't recognize. Any ID of them would be appreciated.

I thank you all for your help.

Best regards,

Jakke

Comment

"RE" would be Royal Engineers (British), I expect. Other than that, no help, I'm afraid. Don't know nearly enough about uniforms to say whether the badges are later add-ons.

Two possibilities about extra badges on a greatcoat : 1) might indicate that the wearer had one badged just for 'walking out' - though having two would be odd or 2) that it was what he wore when he was de-mobbed and going home. I've seen a few pieces over the years on which just discharged soldiers had put up every badge they had, for swank, and to H*** with e dress regulations!

Comment

the badges on the greatcoat are indeed post war

the belgium title on de bd is a model wich was used arround 1946 mostly by soldiers who were in germany (occupation) I believe

the RE titles stand for royal engineers and are slip-ons mostly used in the beginning of the war

Comment

Thank you for your help guys!

Comment

Hi,
              The lion badges were normally not worn on the overcoat.
              What actually was worn is as following: Belgium & Belgian flag. Also ranks and service stripes.
              The engineers of the Belgian brigade Piron never wore RE on the denim or battledress.
              The engineers were only formed in August 1943.
              Battle-dress: this is not a Brigade Piron battledress.
              The white Belgium badges were provided around february 1945. The white badges were mostly used by fus. battallions, not to be confused by the Brigade Piron.
              From my experience from pictures and bd's I received from veterans all of them were discharged with the red Belgium badges. By the way those excist both Brithish & Belgian made.

Kind regards, Kris Michiels
              Owner of the collection Casemat 4 Batterie de Merville (Brigade Piron)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X