Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monmouthshire Regiment info

Hello Gents

I'm looking for info about the Monmoutshire Regiment. I met a woman whos husband died near our village on 24rd of september 1944 and is buried in Valkenswaard war cemetry. They told her that he was killed by a sniper in the woods. A few of his fellow soldiers from this regiment were also killed on this day.

His name is Cpl T. Gray, 4081602 2nd bn Monmoutshire Regiment.

I was wondering if somebody can tell me something more about this Welsh regiment. Especially from the period 17- 25 september 1944. Perhaps somebody knows where this regiment was located. I'm trying to find out for her.

Thanks in advance

Regards Erwin
    Attached Files

Erwin

Found these:-

http://www.rrw.org.uk/museums/brecon/fact_sheets/23.htm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a2449262.shtml

Hope they are of interest.

Regards

Richie

Comment

Thanks for your help Richie. If i can find out where this regiment was from 17-24 september 1944 i can perhaps locate the place were he was killed in action. Unfortunately it wasn't mentioned in the links you gave me

best regards

Erwin

Comment

Erwin,
        This is my local regiment I see what I can find out for you.

Gareth,

Comment

Erwin

Some more -

If I'm reading the records properly, the 2nd Monmouths were part of the 53rd Welsh Division and were part of the 160th Brigade.

During the period 17-25 September 1944 the Brigade participated in the battle of the Nederrijn. This is the period of Operation Market Garden.

Found this quote

"24th Sept

160 Brigade suffered heavy losses as they were pushed out of VELDHOVEN
          H11 towards EINDHOVEN I13 by a combined arms attack"

So, I would guess this chap met his end in this action.

Regards

Richie

Comment

His name is on the memorial to the 2nd Mons at Pontypool which is not to far from where I live.

Gareth,

Comment

Hello Richie

This is some very good info. Muchos Gracias. The 53rd Welsh Division had some fighting on another bridge north of Lommel (to Luyksgestel) not far from Joe's Bridge (to Valkenswaard) This to flank Joe's bridge. I have to go to work now but i will come back on it later with some more.

Butch if you ever have time to make a picture it will be great

Thanks gents

Best regards

Erwin

Comment

Hello Richie and Butch

This is what i have found in Market Garden Then and Now volume 2.

In the night of September 17/18 1944, 9 hours after the Guards Armoured had began their break out, Lt-General Neil Richie's XII Corps began it's attack to make a bridgehead. The assault across the Maas-Schelde canal being carried out by the 53rd (Welsh) Division, north of Lommel, some 3 miles west of Joe's bridge.

There was confused fighting with German paratroopers (fsj regt 6 and fsj regt 18, 2nd battailon). They fought skillfully and with great zeal, in the woods on the far bank during the hours of darkness. The next morning the Welshmen had carved out a bridgehead.

The next day, september 19th the 53rd division attacked northwards out of the bridgehead. Crossing the dutch border they advanced some 10 miles through Luyksgestel, Bergeyk and Duizel were they were stopped bu advanced elements of Kampfgruppe Zuber of the 719th Inf Division which had been rushed east to counter this new emergency.

The following day , september 20th, the division continued steadily northwards. liberating one little village after another before drawing level with Eindhoven. However it's western flank got bogged down in fierce fights with kampfgruppe Zuber at Vessem, Wintelre and Oerle

regards Erwin
                Last edited by Erwin L; 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM.

Comment

bren carrier handpulled across the maas-schelde canal, september 1944
                  Attached Files

Comment

On the 23th of september 1944 the German 245 Infantery Division was fighting against the 53rd Welsh Division as well. This division arrived as reinforcements at the front. This is a list with nahkampftage from Will Massi. He was in the 5th kompany from Gren Regt 936 from the 245th ID. He saw action in the Wintelre-Middelbeers region between 21-23 september 1944. The same region as the Monmouthshire Regiment were fighting.

This is a document from Willi Massi Grouping

regards

Erwin
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Erwin L; 09-24-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Erwin

Good to see the progress you've made with the research.

Have you thought about trying to access the Regiment's War Diary - I couldn't find it online but you could try the Regimental Museum or the Public Records Office at Kew.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to mention other Forums but it might be worth asking at "World War 2 Talk" which seems to have a lot of people with expertise in this area.

Good hunting.

Regards

Richie

Comment

Thanks Richie, I will see if i can find something there. If somebody else has info i'm happy to hear this

regards Erwin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X