Named Denison (Finally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named Denison (Finally)

Here's something that may or may not interest you but thought you might find interesting. Anyway about three years ago I aquired a very nice Denison from a local collector who mainly collected New Zealand militaria.

He had owned it for some 10 years prior to that and had got it from a Local German collector who I have known well from when I collected German. He bought it from a Garage sale that he just happened to drive past one day ( Early 1970's). The wife of the vet was having a clean out after the vet had recently passed away, she had mentioned that her husband had been involved in the planning of Arnhem but had not jumped there.

There was a Camo Jacket laying on a table and when the collector asked if there was anything else she said there was a very special knife but that had been promised to a family member. She then told him to hold on as she remembered having a photo of him with parachute that he could have. The photo is of the vet doing a demonstration Jump at his local Aero club that he was involved with postwar...unsure of date. Written on the reverse are a few details which I'm hoping somebody might be able to expand on.

L/Cpl G.D. Hill 589
    Intelligence
    3rd Btn Parachute Regiment
    MEF ...I presume Middle east forces ?

The photo had got lost in amongst the German collectors collection over the years and everytime I bumped into him in the various circles we run in he would always say he would endeavour to try and find the photo. It had become a bit of a joke between us and I had pretty much given up hope . Anyway two days ago I got a ring that he had found it totally by accident as it had been in a book and he just happen to skim through a few pages and it slipped out.

Tonight I managed to get my hands on it
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Greg B; 09-02-2009, 06:48 AM.

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is the actual Denison on a mannequin set up I have
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Greg B; 09-02-2009, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Close up of where his wing had been and just below you can just make out where a lance Cpl chevron had been although its more ovious in hand.

If anybody can add any more info on him it would be very much appreciated

L/Cpl G D Hill 589
        Intelligence
        3rd Btn Parchute Regiment
        MEF

Greg
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting

Interesting ... the photo was taken at an early American jump school.

Comment

Hi Gary, Notice the printing on the tail of the plain in the back ground, NELSON AERO CLUB .INC. Nelson is where the Vet lived befor he came down to Christchurch in his later years, which is at the top of the South Island, New Zealand.

Greg

Comment

Well done Greg. I have a Denison in my collection that belonged to a vet I knew so I know how nice it feels having provenance with such an item.

Comment

Wel done Greg, that is a very nice smock and the history makes it even more special.
                Are you going to put a Intel cap badge on his beret?

Luc

Comment

Very nice smock and set-up!

Comment

Top Class

That makes a lovely Denison a fantastic piece,well done Greg. I love the provenanced pieces.
                    Regards,Ivan.

Comment

awsome !!!

Great story

owen

Comment

very nice story! and smock,congrats

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X