• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please opinion is this a ww1 ore ww2 cap

Cap

Looks to be 1st w.w. Thin cap strap

Comment

It is the ww1 style of cap, although these caps with thin chin strap and high stiff crown were worn into the late 1930' as well, making it impossible to date with certainty. A very nice example.

CB

Comment

Hi Danny,
        I agree with CB that it is impossible to date with certainty.
        Without any attributing name or maker’s information, one can only try to find an identical cap with 100% provenance as to its era of use.

However I can offer up what I have recorded as "style" changes of the New Zealand Officer’s Service Dress cap.
        Although NZ has its own Dress Regulations, I believe they follow the British quite closely in regards to style when it comes to SD caps, so may be quite relevant.
        It is worth mentioning that when new styles appeared, old styles still remained in use.

Pattern 1902 SD cap – Low front crown, small round peak, 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> chinstrap.
        1911/1912 – High front crown, small round peak, 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> chinstrap.
        Mid WW1 – High front crown, large round peak, 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> chinstrap.
        1923 - High front crown, duck billed/squared peak, 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> chinstrap.
        Mid to late 1930s - High front crown, duck billed/squared peak, wide chinstrap.

If I were to guess the period of your cap based on commonalities rather than possibilities, I would say late 1920s - early 1930s.

Below are two very different styles of NZ SD caps.
        The left is late WW1 (High front crown, large round peak, 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> chinstrap.)
        The right is late 1930s/WW2 (High front crown, duck billed/squared peak, wide chinstrap.)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X