Great War Flying Ace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great War Flying Ace

Much to my surprise I was able to add this little treasure to my collection.

Early RAF post war tuinc dated 1922 and named to George Cecil Gardiner.

Mr. Gardiner was credited with 6 confirmed kills in the great war and was in the first group of pilots to be awarded the DFC in 1918. Born March 28 1892, he died while serving his country for a second time on July 30 1940. He is buried in the Cairo war cemetary.

I need to do a lot more research on this gentlemen but wanted to share a few quick snapshots I took after I opened up my package this evening.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice? All is welcome and appreciated.

Greg,

That is a wonderful outfit, you are very fortunate to have it.

Do you think, when you have the time, could you post some close up images of the visor cap? Especially the King's crown. It appears they didn't really change much between 1922 and 1945.

All the best..

Mike

Comment

Mike,

Here are a few shots of the visor I just took for you. Alas, the days keep getting shorter and it is already pitch black outside so the pictures are with halogen lights and a flash. If you would like more in natural light or other angles just let me know.

Greg

Comment

Wow, what a great group!!! A WWI Ace, you are a lucky man! I can't wait to see the results of your research...it should prove to be very interesting.

Comment

Beautiful set and the cap is a real corker! I love that early KC!

Comment

Greg,

Thank you for posting the fine images of your new acquisition. Interesting to see the difference between the early King's crown and the WW2 versions.

I think you are going to thoroughly enjoy researching Mr. Gardiner. I am sure you will eventually turn up a picture or two of him, hopefully wearing the uniform and cap.

Good luck in your research!

Here's a couple images of my WW2 RAF visor KC, just for a quick comparison ..

All the best ..

Mike
            Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Couldn't resist ..
                Attached Files

Comment

Great set Greg! Thanks for posting. -Lee

Comment

Hi Greg, wonderful grouping.....I'll fight ya for it

Comment

Hiya Greg! Long time no see

That's a great set. Congrats on the find. Hope all is well

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X