Airborne badge 1942 to 1999

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne badge 1942 to 1999

I am wondering what happened in 1999 in regards to the Airborne Divsion?

The badge has a rather nice american style clip and is gold plated.

Dont worry I know its not worth millions and the pet cat at the Arnhem museum probably has one ...........All I would like to know is what they commemorate since I found it in some veterans belongings?

Thank you for your help,

Steve.

The 'Old Guard' of the 24 Airborne Brigade and 5th Airborne Brigade were basically merged in 1999 to form the 'new' 16 Air Assault Brigade of today.

I was in Kosovo at the time, but it was September 1999 and many elements of the 5th and 24 were disbanded thus incorporated - like 23 PFA RAMC for example - all due to the Strategic Defence Review.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Thank you for the detailed response Marcus. So this badge I assume marks the end of an era for the Airborne.

Thank you again.

Comment

There is a significance to the badge, yes! The ''Pegasus patch'', or rather old Belleraphon on Pegasus is not worn anymore by British forces - it was replaced by the 'striking eagle' of 16 Air Assault in 1999/00.

So, it was an end of an era on many accounts.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Yeah the new Eagle patch is just the last step in a very long and very slow process of "Yankifing" the British Armed Forces.

IMHO goes way back to the book 'Men Against Fire' by S.L.A Marshal.

We saw it with the Canadian Military long ago the final nail in the coffin as the 'Sacrifice Medal' http://www.gg.ca/honours/medals/hon04-sm_e.asp

rather than a wound stripe .

I know guys who are going to refuse to wear it.

At least we won on the VC sort of

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X