Horsa Glider Data Plates & Section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsa Glider Data Plates & Section

I believe these to be original Horsa Glider Data Plates attached to a section of a Glider. The Plates are stuck onto the section and obviously did not belong there. I would be interested to have confirmed, one way or the other, that they are authentic and if there is any way the actual Glider and its history could be identified. From the condition of the Plates and the Section it seems fairly probable that they came from a wreck. Many thanks, Clive.
    Attached Files

Image 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Image 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Image 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Image 5 - Final
          Attached Files

Comment

I would say these are original, the second one looks damaged by fire.
            Can't answer the other questions, sorry!

Luc

Comment

Thank you for your comments Luc. Just wonder if there is a data-base somewhere that I could check the plates against? I guess it is possible that with the nature and use of a Glider such records were not kept? Regards, Clive.

Comment

These people might have some info
                http://www.assaultglidertrust.co.uk/index.html
                Lee

Comment

I would say and original either rudder , Elevator or tail plain off a Horsa.

The honeycomb structure was unique to this aircraft until it was 'rediscovered' some years later by 'Convair' and incorporated in the 'B-58 Hustler'

Doubt it would be possible to fake this up or even come up with anything else that closely resembles this.

Comment

There is a book that lists the chalk numbers of the Arnhem gliders, but I'm not sure of the glider serial numbers are listed too.

Luc

Comment

Tugs

"Tugs and Gliders to Arnhem" only lists chalk numbers ..

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                        "Tugs and Gliders to Arnhem"
                        Thanks Gary, that was the book I was referring to. I didn't know how detailed the info was.

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X