My First Casualty medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Casualty medal

Here is my first casualty medal to H H Pell of the Royal Artillery.

Here are the details from the CWGC
    Name: PELL, HERBERT HENRY
    Initials: H H
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
    Unit Text: 87th Bty.
    Date of Death: 27/05/1918
    Service No: 640592
    Additional information: Son of Mary Elizabeth Pell, of 7, Albion Terrace, Boston Rd., Sleaford.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 30.
    Cemetery: GWALIA CEMETERY

I have just started to collect British medals and i am very happy with this one.I got it from e bay for the price of £22.

Hi David,

Very nice...now for the research!

Depending on what you decide to focus on as far as medals go, you may consider subscribing to Ancestry. More and more resources and collections are coming online, opening up avenues of research previously either unavailable (or at least tedious and time-consuming to find)

Thanks for sharing,

Adam

Comment

Very interesting medal and as it is Lincolnshire related it should be sold to me!

Sorry Des, I recycled your one liner.

Now if you look at this page you can see he is on Sleafords war memorial:

http://www.sleaford.gov.uk/warmemorial.html

..and then you will notice he is one of two Pell brothers killed from Sleaford. Sad isnt it.
      Last edited by yellow; 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Many thanks guys.
        Adam,i intend to collect Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers.I have decided for the moment not to limit my collecting to one war.
        Yellow,thanks for the information on the memorial.It is sad to see a family loose more than one son

Comment

Go here;

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1

Comment

I do have a Royal Engineers pair, scroll and plaque on my wall. KIA Kut which makes it rather interesting. Sold to me for next to nothing because everyone thinks the Royal Engineers did nothing. Lets keep the tunnelers, special weapon companies and anti-tank companies our little secret.

I`ll keep a look out for a Scottish RE or RA victory casualty we can exchange. Dont forget to PM me which area of Scotland you are looking for casualties from.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
              I do have a Royal Engineers pair, scroll and plaque on my wall. KIA Kut which makes it rather interesting. Sold to me for next to nothing because everyone thinks the Royal Engineers did nothing. Lets keep the tunnelers, special weapon companies and anti-tank companies our little secret.

I`ll keep a look out for a Scottish RE or RA victory casualty we can exchange. Dont forget to PM me which area of Scotland you are looking for casualties from.
              Hi there.
              I have pm'd you.
              I did a small bit of research about prices before i started to collect as i have a limited budget and found that the RA and the RE are not as high as the line regiments.
              I have collected a lot of different things over the years but i came across a WW1 pair to A soldier named Penman of the Royal Engineers.This has a family conection as it is my wifes maiden name.
              I bid on them and won them only to find out that he is related to my wifes family!
              The chances of comong across a family member is slim so i realise how lucky i am to find them.
              I will post them on this thread so that i do not clutter up the forum

Comment

here is the pair to 2299 A.2.Cpl W.K.Penman .

medla index card

I have a bit of research that some people did on another forum on him

He was a Lithographer from Kirkcaldy who had served with 3rd Royal Highlanders and enlisted in the RE in Sep 1898 aged 19.

Entitled to a QSA Belmont, ModR, OFS, Transv
                & KSA 1901 & 1902

Married in 1909 at St Marks in New Brompton and daughter born 1910 in Kirkcaldy.

Shown as a skilled surveyor he served in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1lace>S Africa</st1lace> <st1:date Month="10" Day="23" Year="1899">23 Oct 1899</st1:date> to <st1:date Month="9" Day="27" Year="1902">27 Sep 1902</st1:date>
                and also <st1:country-region><st1lace>France</st1lace></st1:country-region> <st1:date Month="7" Day="2" Year="1917">2 July 1917</st1:date> to <st1:date Month="2" Day="11" Year="1919">11 Feb 1919</st1:date>

Discharged <st1:date Month="3" Day="20" Year="1919">20 Mar 1919</st1:date>

<st1:date Month="3" Day="20" Year="1919">So it looks like i will have to do a bit of saving and see if i can find his South African medals</st1:date>
                <st1:date Month="3" Day="20" Year="1919"></st1:date>

Comment

Originally posted by David F View Post
                  I bid on them and won them only to find out that he is related to my wifes family!
                  The chances of comong across a family member is slim so i realise how lucky i am to find them.
                  I will post them on this thread so that i do not clutter up the forum
                  wow thats great

i would love to have my grandfathers ww1/2 medals but they have gone down the line to the rich side of the family

Comment

Another group ,this time to Gunner 159281 G Lawrence.He is not a casualty but a good group.Any help in figuring out what the papaerwork actually says would be a help.The paperwork looks as though it has been damaged by water so i was wondering if the more knowledgable amongst you can help with what it says
                    here is the group as it arrived

Here is the box the pair came in along with a set of what look like miss matched RGA shoulder titles.

here is the MIC for him.It shows that he was only entitled to the pair.

And his Short service Attestation papers
                    Page 1

Page 2

Statement of service

More paperwork

That is about it.So any help at all on halping decipher what is on these documents.
                    As i mentioned it looks like they have been damaged by water.
                    Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X