id number (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

id number (?)

i bought a ww2 British box set of medals recently, it came with a small piece of paper with an id number on it.

i was just wondering if there is any free sites where i can check this ID number?

thank

what

if it's a soldiers number .. post it here, ..

Comment

it ~

1248212 CPL

anywhere on the net where i can dig up his records?

Comment

Ok

Ok .. looks like his number falls into the area of Royal Artillery ..
        .. The next problem is that because he still falls in the area of "Living memory", (Service number being of WW2 vintage) .. his actual service records will only be released to the next of kin ...

Has anybody else got an angle to open up these files ?

Gary J.

Comment

are you 100% it Royal Artillery?

it just the box set i bought is for the RAF ?

ive got his name on the box, is there anyway i can make sure this box came with this ID slip?

Last edited by redline09; 08-24-2009, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redline09 View Post
            are you 100% it Royal Artillery?

it just the box set i bought is for the RAF ?.. (or it could have come with a incorrect RAF award slip?)

ive got his name on the box, is there anyway i can make sure this box came with this ID slip?

For your info:

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/mm/...ce_numbers.htm

Nige

Comment

Originally posted by nige247 View Post
              thanks for the info.

so that site says ~ "Royal Artillery - (Field Branch, Coast Defence and Anti-Aircraft Branch)"

would someone receive medals from the air ministry for anti-aircraft defence?

(my set has 3 medals, 1939-45 war medal, defence & france star)

Comment

the set has 3 medals, 1939-45 war medal, defence & france star, all unmarked as normal.

the award slip is un-marked but i came with a slip of paper with this ID number & what medals were issued.

the box is named and the back has "return to- air ministry (s7d) london w.c.2"

would you guys say this sounds like a correct set?

Comment

The RAF had their own numbers, and for an RAF OR that number fits in the block 1150001 to 1250000, Apr 1940, enlisted at Cardington.

Also sounds like RAF with the slip of paper with his number - is it a tall thin piece of paper?

Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by AB64 View Post
                    The RAF had their own numbers, and for an RAF OR that number fits in the block 1150001 to 1250000, Apr 1940, enlisted at Cardington.

Also sounds like RAF with the slip of paper with his number - is it a tall thin piece of paper?

Alistair
                    yes thats correct.

thanks for the info

Comment

I dont believe there are the correct medals in the box. There should be a War Medal. I have a similar group to the RAF.........it could be RAF regiment it could be those chaps who landed to set up RAF bases.

Impossible to research at the moment, the RAF WW2 service records have not been released and probably will not be released for a few more decades. Its a group worth hanging onto providing your hobby isnt sky diving!

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                        I dont believe there are the correct medals in the box. There should be a War Medal. I have a similar group to the RAF.........it could be RAF regiment it could be those chaps who landed to set up RAF bases.

Impossible to research at the moment, the RAF WW2 service records have not been released and probably will not be released for a few more decades. Its a group worth hanging onto providing your hobby isnt sky diving!

it does comes with a war medal and it sounds all good now. thanks guys. (the ID slip is marked for 3 medals and they are all there in the set)

anyway i have 14 boxed sets now and growing, at the moment they are still quite cheap £13-£40+ (no KIA sets yet, im not rich)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X