shovel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shovel

Could I please have some help with this.
    I've never seen any with press stud strap before. What is it for?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi, this strap was implemented to make sure the wooden handle of the entrenching tool could not easily fall out and get lost, leaving you with only the shovel head. Cheers Wouter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter J View Post
          Hi, this strap was implemented to make sure the wooden handle of the entrenching tool could not easily fall out and get lost, leaving you with only the shovel head. Cheers Wouter.
          Ok, thanks, but it's dated 43 and I've never seen it before on others, but I belive you

Comment

The modification occured in 1944, so this might be one of the covers left in warehouses and then modified when this strap was implemented.

Comment

Thanks again for your expertice.

Comment

The modification occured in 1944.
                According to Martin Brayley it was introduced in March 1945.

Luc

Comment

Hi Luc, I've got a copy of '37 web here, and it says; 'In 1944, entrenching tool carriers were modified with an additional strap in order to better secure the helve. These modifications do not appear to have been performed by Canadian units on Canadian 1937 Pattern Web.'

Comment

Here is a similar one with the helve in place.

Comment

In 1944, entrenching tool carriers were modified with an additional strap
                      Perhaps that is true but I still have to see the first picture that shows its use in WWII.

Luc

Comment

The original A.C.I. for the modification was apparently published in 1944 but due to some error it didn't come into force until early 1945. I never seen a period photograph of the modified type being used before V.E. Day either, just lots of balls from dealers claiming it's 'Airborne pattern'. If your cover is 1943 dated and unissued then I'd agree with it being old stock that was modified.

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                          Perhaps that is true but I still have to see the first picture that shows its use in WWII.

Luc
                          It may not have seen service during the war, but that does not mean it wasn't produced. The late pattern Bren pouches with the quick release were produced in 1944 but I have yet to see a photo of one in service. These were produced in the thousands.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X