Just went to the rubbish tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just went to the rubbish tip

Chucked an old carpet in and there was a ww2 gasmask bag stuffed with old webbing, but it was to far away for me to grab it so I asked the young lad working there to fetch it for me , but he said "not allowed to take things out that people had thrown away " and that was that . Probably a load of rubbish but you never know . Rob .
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

It depends on which tip you go to, most will not allow it but if you have a quite word with someone there who looks like they have a brain then sometimes things will get put aside for you. I have had some good results from tips but it is still unbelievable what gets thrown away
    Lee

Comment

did you try buying it?

Comment

In the 80's wh en I was living in Brussels I found 2 German motorcycle (rubber) coats (with green cloth collar) and a regular German WW2 woolen overcoat in a
        trash can! (rubbish bin)
        Always fun finding such treasures... one man's junk is another man's treasure as the saying goes!

Comment

Ahh Rob, you should have offered him a fiver to fish it out for you. I'm sure he would have changed his tune then.

Comment

Originally posted by DJT View Post
            Ahh Rob, you should have offered him a fiver to fish it out for you. I'm sure he would have changed his tune then.
            Money can do a lot.

My dad is working at one and had some nice things from him.
            Most ww2 dutch medals. and some german bajonets.
            Nothing fancy but allways nice to get things.

Comment

You go round the skips looking for a length of wood to fish it out with...............and then do an inspector gadget and pull it out.

If you get caught you say it was yours anyway and you had thrown it in there by mistake.

......and you call yourself militaria collectors! Handing money over....ha ha ha ha. These are desperate times in which we live I bet that lad fished the lot out after you had left for next weeks ebay listings.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Smelly View Post
                It depends on which tip you go to, most will not allow it but if you have a quite word with someone there who looks like they have a brain then sometimes things will get put aside for you. I have had some good results from tips but it is still unbelievable what gets thrown away
                Lee
                You've got that right, mate! When I was growing up in Ottawa (capital of Canada) we lived a few blocks from one of the classy districts where a lot of the diplomats lived. Every year the town did a 'large item pick up' - you could put out anything but builders rubble and corpses and the trash men would collect it. One house put out 5 brand new electric irons in the [unopened] original boxes. Working tellys, never worn ball dresses and so on. The mind boggles!

Comment

I thought about all those things but he looked like the banjo player from Deliverance and he kept one of his three eyes on me as I went about my disposal work , I did look for a length of something but there was nothing ,it is a brand new disposal center state of the art and when they went from old to new they sacked all the old back hand boys and replaced them with elf and safety more than my jobs worth young blokes . Yellow I will be checking the listings . Had it been something tasty I would have dived into the skip fought of the banjo boy and the driver brothers and zoomed of in my car . Cheers Rob
                  Attached Files
                  God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

If that lad had not helped retrieve Grandads war items which you had thrown in by mistake with your rubbish you would have gone and reported him to the site manager.

If all the above scams hadnt worked and you had got in trouble for skip dipping the 'Sorry duck, didnt know' routine whereby all your body goes all floppy works well. Never get nasty like some militaria dealers when they get caught, that implies guilt.

Robb, next time you go to the tip I want you to come back with something good.

Ive had people approach me almost every time Ive been at the tip......is that a computer.....yes....can I have it.?...ok. As far as I am concerned its better to have a second owner rather than finish up in the ground.
                    Last edited by yellow; 08-21-2009, 03:04 AM.

Comment

you guys have been pretty lucky! I've never had such luck.

Comment

My mate in Belfast was the head of the bin lorry crews and he had the best collection ever .
                        He started when he was a young man and knew every street in Belfast .
                        Back in the 1960s a bin man talked to everyone and was a part of the comunity .
                        Not like now !!
                        John pulled everything out of that town that was to be had .
                        any war stuff Missus ?????
                        owen

Comment

There was a guy in one of these day time programs on the beeb, cash in the attic or something. Anyway he worked in a tip and had quite a collection of WW1 British medals, trios, pairs and lot's of singles I seem to remember. He picked them all out of the rubbish people had dumped.
                          Everytime I go to the dump now I think of what is probably in there somewhere.

J

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X