Please, take a look to this RAF coat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, take a look to this RAF coat.

I bought this RAF coat some months ago at ebay.
    It belonged to RAF ace Robert Waldrow "Oxspring". Bobby was present at battle of Britain, Normandy and Arnhem and shot down even V1 and V2 bombs.
    here is a profile:
    http://timehonoured.com/X4170.htm
    Please, I would like to know your opinion.
    Thanks.
    Victor

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Please, any opinions?
            Thanks!

Comment

Nice officer quality great coat.

Guy.

Comment

Thanks Guy!

Comment

Button it to the proper side i.e. to the right and you will see what that small button about knee height is for.

Comment

This is a very nice coat.....if it is genuine and not a Flitter put together. He likes his type writer.

If one were to fake such a coat it would be to this man.

F/O Robert Wardlow 'OXO' Oxspring was on patrol leading a flight from No 66 Squadron on the 25th of October 1940 when they bounced 6 Bf 109's . Oxspring bailed safely out of his blazing Spitfire I (X4170) over Tonbridge after the combat at 09:00hrs. He survived the war and became a Group Captain with a D.F.C. and 2 Bars and the A.F.C.

Group Captain R W Oxspring RAF. Battle of Britain flying ace, one of only 42 DFC and double bars awarded.Distinguished Flying Cross G.J.R. 1940 and two bars, Air Force Cross, G.J.R.1949, 1939-45 Star with clasp, Battle of Britain, The Aircrew Europe Star with clasp, France and Germany, The Africa Star with clasp, North Africa 1942-43, The Italy Star, War Medal, ERII Coronation Medal, Dutch Vliegerkruis 1941 (9) Being sold with associated dress medals, log books and other items listed below. To be sold upon instructions from the Executors of Mrs. Joy Oxspring (Dec'd) Robert Wardlow Oxspring was born in Sheffield on 22nd May 1919, the son of a World War 1 decorated pilot of the same name. He joined the RAF in March 1938 on a short service commission and joined 66 Sqn. in the December and started operational flying in July 1940 and flew throughout the Battle of Britain. He was shot down by Bf 109's over Kent on 25thOctober, baling out with slight injuries (Caterpillar Club Badge) He was awarded the DFC on 8th November. September 1942 saw him awarded a bar to the DFC and a second bar was added in February 1943. In 1946 he was awarded the Dutch Vligerkruis by Royal Decree of the 31st October 1946 appearing in the London Gazette on 10th January 1947. He was awarded an AFC in January 1949 after leading a team of 54 Sqn Vampires to Canada and the USA, the first jet aircraft to cross the Atlantic. He retired from the service with the rank of Group Captain, having been Station Commander of RAF Gatow, Germany, in 1968 and settled in Lincolnshire near to RAF Cranwell. He died on 8th August 1989. Total Claims. 13 and 1 shared destroyed. 2 probable 13 damaged 4 V-1s destroyed Other items included in the lot, A Caterpillar Club badge inscribed "Flt.Lt. R W Oxspring" A silver RAF sweetheart brooch An 18ct gold commemorative medallion "25 Years Battle of Britain" cased. An electroplated salver with pie crust and shell cast rim, inscribed to centre Sqn.Ldr.R W Oxspring DFC AFC, from the Officers and Airmen 73 Squadron 12-1-49 to 14-11-49 Malta, 1 ¾" diameter An electroplated circular tray with rope twist rim, presentation relating to Group Captain Oxspring to centre 15 ½" diameter. An electroplated trophy relating to Wing Commander R W Oxspring 6 ½" high A silver oblong cigarette case, wood lined, inscribed "TO OUR C.O.SQN LDR BOB OXSPRING D.F.C. WITH VERY BEST WISHES FROM ALL RANKS OF "72" ON HIS MARRIAGE 28TH OCTOBER 1942" London 1941, 7 " wide A silver, leather and glass hip flask, with a screw bayonet cap, the silver sleeve inscribed " Presented to Group Captain R W Oxspring D.F.C. A.F.C. by the Officers and Airmen of No 151 Wing" and verso " Every Ounce Counts" makers mark Walker and Hall, Sheffield, 1959, 5 ½" high Until recently the medals have been on display at RAF Cranwell. Viewing: Monday 4th February 2pm to 5pm, Tuesday 5th February 2pm to 7pm, Monday 5th May 2pm to 5pm, Tuesday 6th May 2pm to 7pm. And other times by appointment. Photocopies of the logbooks will be available at viewing to preserve the originals. Estimate on request. All enquiries to Colin Young MRICS FNAVA. £40000-50000

His medals sold for a mere snip at 44 thousand British pounds..........I bought two groups at that price!

Last edited by yellow; 08-23-2009, 07:46 AM.

Comment

When I look closely at the wool of the coat it appears that there is bobbling from washing. The ink in the label looks new, I would of expected it to of faded to an almost brown colour.

There is something else I do not understand. We know Oxo received many more promotions. Would he of bought a new coat on his promotion to F/LT? Can anyone explain why on promotion to F/LT he would of bought a new coat especially when this one looks to have hardly any wear?

That is my personal opinion. If Guy and LuftMike think it is correct then so be it.
                      Last edited by yellow; 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I have been very hesitant to ring in on this one (as I am just doing so now), considering the purported recipient. Although hardly worn, I would expect to see more fading to the label than what is presently there. This was tailored in 1939 I believe (hard to make out the label) and we know that by early 1940 he was a Flight Lt. Therefore, I find it odd that such a little worn jacket would be discarded for a new one? Honestly, I'd expec t that he'd buy a new jacket when he became at least a "3 Ringer" if anything.
                        I must also ask why the the shoulder boards are sewn in? Private purchase Coats were almost always done with the slip on style (cheaper to upgrade rank), also, Why turnback cuffs? Made to fit Greatcoats were not cuffed like this, but rather finished at the ends with buttons. I've owned many Officer's greatcoats and I've never had one with these cuffs, and all of mine have had removeable Rank.
                        I hate to call out pieces as possibly no good, but this one rings alarm bells. I'd like it better is there was a Squadron Leader's or Wingco's rings on it.
                        It's still a nice overcoat, was it Oxspring's? Who could really tell?

Comment

The provenance Is one thing but the coat Is a nice example. Turn back cuffs are not common but do turn up, as for the boards who knows. The bobbly effect In the wool Is not from washing but rather is how this wool looks. It Is like an extremely thick version of the eskimo wool used In german caps which Mike I'm sure will be familiar with. I'm noy an RAF collector so had no idea who the owner was purported to be however I have handled a lot of these coats (no one used to want the bloody things) from clearances etc and this one looks nice.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Flitter would of typed it slightly unevenly and not that neatly . Was the owner mentioned in the ebay description ? Rob
                            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Who could tell would be the executor of the will of Oxos widow. Perhaps they can remember the coat?

I am still not sure about that label. I am convinced the coat has been washed.
                              Last edited by yellow; 08-24-2009, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X