Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal officers pips on BD's

Question:
    Most Regiments (Canadian and UK) would dictate that officers would have (worsted) cloth rank pips used (with proper branch color) on their BD tunics with some exceptions.
    I believe the UK Grenadier Guards officers used metal pips on their BD's,
    as well as some Canadian guards units, as it was a Regimental tradition, right?

Question:
    Could there have been instances where officers wore metal pips on their BD's
    because of lack of proper cloth pips? and what about early in the war (1939-1940 era) were metal Service Dress pips also used on early BD's?
    I know metal unit scrolls were sometimes observed early in the war on BD's. So metal pips as well?

I believe on KD (Khaki Drill) tan uniforms, metal pips as well as cloth pips both were both observed on such summer uniforms, correct?

(1 pip is damaged and has a broche pin attached...modified for some reason...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 07-31-2009, 02:14 PM.

Yes, you are correct on all points, ALL Guards regiments wore metal pips on BD, they had no cloth version.
    Some Officers of other regiments also wore metal pips/crowns on their BD although regulations stipulated worsted. Although officially not permitted, metal shoulder titles and collar badges are often encountered on BD, especially with cavalry regiments. Metal and cloth rank badges are found on KD
    Lee

Comment

Thanks Lee!
      This one is for sale through a dealer in the UK...with metal pips and
      metal shoulder titles just like you described!
      Attached Files

Comment

Dealer description as follows:
        A superb BD to a Captain of Royal Indian Army Service Corps Air Supply, the unit which supported the Chindits by means of the air-dropping of essential supplies. It bears brass shoulder rank badges and titles, theatre-made Air Supply cloth shoulder titles, and Allied Land Forces South East Asia flashes. An exceptionally rare BD I acquired some years ago from the family of the original owner.

Close up: PRETTY COOL but very pricey!
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good but pricey, I have had uniforms before with the RIASC metal titles. Weren't Air Supply a 1970's band?
          Lee

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X