Green Hawards Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Hawards Flag

Hello I picked up this interesting flag. I'm not sure what period this is from. This name has been used since 1744. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Howards Kirby
    Attached Files

Any idea why the flag is rounded?
    Attached Files

Comment

The back of the flag has the name attached but i'm wondering if the center part was removed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice flag ...

Originally posted by klr View Post
        The back of the flag has the name attached but i'm wondering
        if the center part was removed.
        Hello klr:
        Nice flag, you can match test a loose thread to see if it is
        made of more modern nyla-wool. To be WW2 or older it would
        have to have multiple "rip stop" woven rows arcoss the green
        background field. Backside reverse emblem looks original IMO,
        if reverse had been removed you would see tell tail stitch holes
        where it had been mounted. Have several other UK unit HQ
        flags in my own collection, but my preference is with soldier
        trooped regimental, battalion, and company colours.
        sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

You don't mention dimensions but if it's smallish - less than a yard/metre in length - it's probably a camp guidon or company guidon. Camp flags were used in the 19th Century to mark where rows of tents were pitched by regiments on the march.

Company and platoon flags (guidons) are used by US and other armies, especially in training environments to mark out units of larger formations. You see them in lots of movies about basic training and so on, at the head of bodies of marching troops. Not sure if the UK forces use the same but wouldn't be surprised.

My tuppence worth.
          Peter

Comment

Hello Thanks for the information. It's a good size flag, about 51/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet. I'm not home to get the exact size. Kirby

Comment

Size for a regimental flag, the corners of the fly could have been tailored to prevent fraying or to repair frayed corners.

Comment

The Green Howards (formerly The PWO Yorkshire Regiment) changed their badge to the design shown on this flag or bunting in 1951. This would date the flag from that point on until sometime in the 1970's.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                  Size for a regimental flag, the corners of the fly could have been tailored to prevent fraying or to repair frayed corners.
                  My mate has one of these. They are manufactured with the rounded edge. As stated above it is post-war, but still a very nice looking flag.

Comment

Hello Thanks for helping me date the flag. Kirby

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X