Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airborne beret

Hi fellas

Just received this today. A very nice 1943-dated Kangol airborne beret.

Photos are a little crude - I need to take some better ones. But here are a few for now.

The badge is entirely original to it. The KOSB became a glider unit in 1943, missed Normandy but made Arnhem. There is a great history behind this beret, but more on that later.

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CPB; 05-29-2009, 01:04 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

See that you did buy it Chris,very nice beret!

regards Johan

Comment

I think you have purchased a fantastic beret. Congratulations!

Luc

Comment

Chris, you already no what I think, but glad to see you got it in the end.

Greg

Comment

Nice beret, but please edit your post so it no longer reads "para beret"!! An insult to a fine battalion of glider troops!!!

These berets were for Airborne use

Comment

If

If you have an owners name to go with the beret, .. I'm sure "AB64" would probably have some details at hand ....

Gary J.

Comment

Mon

Mon Dieu Jacque !!! your moving slowly into the downward spiral of Airborne "trainspotting" ...
                        .. But of course you are right !!

Gary J.

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post
                        Nice beret, but please edit your post so it no longer reads "para beret"!! An insult to a fine battalion of glider troops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts View Post

Jack

You're quite right - thanks. I will amend if I can.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                            If you have an owners name to go with the beret, .. I'm sure "AB64" would probably have some details at hand ....

Gary J.
                            Gary

I don't have a name unfortunately.

I was fortunate enough to buy the beret directly from the family of a US 82nd Airborne veteran. He was also part of a glider troop - and was taken prisoner shortly after landing during Operation Market Garden. He was sent to a POW camp near Munich.

It was there he met the owner of this beret - one of many from the KOSB who were taken prisoner after the battle for Arnhem during the same campaign. Before parting on liberation, they swapped 'caps' - a kind of keepsake if you like. So this beret has spent the last 65 years in the US and arrived 'home' this week.

Somewhere there probably is a list of KOSB POWs, but no name to pick him out sadly.

Chris
                            Last edited by CPB; 05-31-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

t

Thats a shame ....
                              "AB64" has a soft spot for the KOSB .. Arnhem related ..
                              He's done a lot of research .... and would be your best bet to tie things down.

Gary J.

Originally posted by CPB View Post
                              Gary

I don't have a name unfortunately.

I was fortunate enough to buy the beret directly from the family of a US 82nd Airborne veteran. He was also part of a glider troop - but was taken prisoner shortly after landing on D-Day. He was sent to a POW camp near Munich.

It was there he met the owner of this beret - one of many from the KOSB who were taken prisoner after Arnhem in Sept 44. Before parting on liberation, they swapped 'caps' - a kind of keepsake if you like. So this beret has spent the last 65 years in the US and arrived 'home' this week.

Somewhere there probably is a list of KOSB POWs, but no name to pick him out sadly.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X