British Legion of Frontersmen medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Legion of Frontersmen medals

I recently aquired this full size group of medals and haven't been able to find out much information on the Legion. There was a short article in the Formation Sign published by The Military Heraldry Society but it wasn't very clear as to the service performed by the group in WW2. Anyone that has some information on the Legion, it will be much appreciated. Addtionally, would the group's service in WW2 justify award of the Defence Medal?
    The WW1 Medal and Victory are named to 7-18981 CPL. G. RESTALL NORT'D FUS. The Defence unnamed, of course. The Legion medals to Capt. G.RESTALL, the last to Capt. G.RESTALL L.M.S.M.
    Attached Files

Close up #1
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up #2
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Garth,

I tried 'Ask Jeeves' and came up with several pages........founded in 1904 originally to provide scouts for the British army to intelligence work in WW 2. And yes he could be awarded the Defence medal for 3 years at home or 6 months in over seas territories, sort of REMF recognition but no less valued.

Here's a couple of sites:

www.geocities.com/fromtiersmanuk

www.frontiersmen.org.au/structure.htm

There are loads, I can take them all down for you if you can't find them just let me know.

Kind regards,

Marcus
        Last edited by MH184; 11-20-2003, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Garth,
          Seems like they're still going, http://www.hants.gov.uk/istcclr/cch36816.html this site has an email address so you may be able to get some info.
          Also have a look at http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/
          There was also a Frontiersmen battalion during WW1 that I believe were affiliated to the Royal Fusiliers, their cap badge was a flaming grenade with the motif that is on the 4th medal from the left, all beautifully done in enamel. I haven't got one, and have only seen one for sale and it was in the hundreds of pounds range which is a tad unusual in terms of British badges.
          I've no idea as to the rarity of their medals so hopefully Tony will have some input.
          Best regards,
          Jim

Comment

Beautiful set!!!!

Comment

These are the rest of the items that came with this group. Thanks to Marcus and Jim for the information on sites with Frontiersman links.
              Attached Files

Comment

Dress straps.
                Attached Files

Comment

Badges and buttons.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice group and nice scans!

Comment

Frontiersmen

They must definetly still be going , cause they are still "awarding" a para-wing.

BR

Jens (still-jumping)

Comment

Frontiersman

The Frontiersman are still strong in Canada. I believe a bunch of them were in the Boer War from Canada. I have a 50 Year Service medal. If the Brit Legion is the same as Cdn the Legion medals are worn on the right side. Hope this helps

Ed

Comment

League of Frontuersmen.

I've got a "training manual" produced about 1911 by the League. The list of contributors is very interesting - some wonderful CVs along the lines of "3rd son of the earl of somewhere, educated Eton, artist, gentleman adventurer, cowboy, sheep shearer, gold panner, soldier, horse breaker, ships cook" I've got a vague idea that Kit Carson was credited. The book is a brilliant read, It's similar in size & appearance to the British army manuals of the time, & that's what it appears to be until you read the contents. It contains info such as cowboy etiquette (if a stranger comes to your campfire at night offer him coffee etc, never ask who he is or where he's travelling to) with regional variations, how to make snowshoes, navigate by stars, treat yourself for syphillis, gunshot wounds, broken bones, catch kill & cook anything. The book came with an illuminated vellum scroll from a Lancashire branch to someone named "Montague", whose name was written inside the book.
                          The cap badge of the Legion (25th Bn Royal Fusiliers) was originally that of the Grenadier Guards with an workshop added name scroll, the badge was then "properly" produced in similar format. The enamelled version appears in various references on badges, I'm inclined to the view that it's well post WWI, & so have never bothered to get one. although I'd like one of the original badges (the only one I've ever seen was at Charing Cross in London about 1976, part of a fairly large collection that looked like it dated from about 1920 or so, the badge was going to auction & was anticipated to fetch about 250 pounds. I've been out of contact with my references & research for some time, I'm sorry that the above lacks specific detail, but obviously Gaynor & Kipling & King make reference to the units cap badges.
                          About 10 years ago at an antique failr in Cambridgeshire I saw a uniform complete with cap, dark blue with yellow piping, & a yellow metal cap badge with the wreathed cross design rather than the grenade.
                          The IRA planted a bomb at a Legion dinner in London, I think about 1973 - 74, Ted Heath was present at the function.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X