Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Female Uniform

Hello,
    Bought this one out of a theater in California many years ago. Not sure what era it's from, but looks WW2. All buttons are gone, but the arrangement of buttons and buttonholes looks like this was for a female. I plan to put this on the e-Stand, so wanted to see if anyone could positively ID it as to era, type and scarcity.
    Thank you,
    Dale
    Attached Files

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

pocket
      Attached Files

Comment

cuff
        Attached Files

Comment

shoulder strap - looks like it once had insignia pinned to it
          Attached Files

Comment

Interior
            Attached Files

Comment

last photo - maker's tag
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't know !

It isn't WW2 that's for sure and it isn't anything I've seen before.

The label stating Queen Alexandra's (1902-1910) suggest to me it's pre-WW1, but there were (allmost) no female services then.... so I doubt it's female. Please remind that people a century ago were much slimmer.

Coming from a theatrical background, it might that (some of) the insignia might have been added by the theatercompany.

I'm curious if someone knows to identify it.

Comment

The jacket is buttoned the correct way for a woman. It may be for one of the WWI Female organisations such as the WAAC, FANY, or VAD. Possibly for an Officer in a VAD. Not sure about the flowers over the left pocket but the sleeve knots look good.

Comment

Thank you. So it's looking more like WW1 than WW2. Still wish I could narrow it down to a definite organization.

Comment

Dale, it is an interesting tunic.
                      The label suggests to me that it was not worn by your average pedestrian.
                      I guess "By Appointment to H.M. Queen Alexandra," would parallel an officer’s tunic with a tailor’s label carrying the Royal Warrant of Appointment to the King!
                      Although Queen Alexandra died in 1925, her Royal Warrant would not have expired until a much later date. I believe this to be 5 years after death.

I am only guessing, but it may be post WW1, Territorial Army Nursing Service, TANS?
                      The following online book may be of interest, especially pages 46, 57 & 63.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=r...esult&resnum=4

Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                        The jacket is buttoned the correct way for a woman.......
                        OOoppsss I've missed that detail !

Regarding the "flowers" on her cheast : it seems to be embroided on a matching material as the tunic.

I'll see if I can find some more about this, but my reference books are mostly restricted to WW2 periode.

Comment

Queen Alexandra had, I believe, a nursing corps (British, or at least Commonwealth/Imperial) named after her but no details in the old brain as to when it was formed.

The flowers on the breast/chest lok VERY un-British. Only thing worn there that I've ever seen are medals, ribbons or jump wings, so I suspect those are theatrical additions. The Sleeve lace looks quite professionally but, again, not unheard of for British units - cavalry, horse artillery and a few other elite types 0- but certainly not common either in the period when khaki was worn. Victorian stuff had sleeve lace galore, but on full dress stuff, and the cut and style is wrong for that early.

Or - this JUST came to me - one of the Imperial/Commonwealth - Indian Army or Commonwealth militia. Sorry, I realize that's probably making things worse, not better, but I was pursuing the Austrian knot train of thought as it left the station!

Comment

I love these enigmas. Based on the link Brent sent, I'm leaning to WW1 era female nursing or volunteer organization. The button arrangement definitely points to it being for a female. I have no clue about the flowers. Thanks for all of your input so far.
                            Dale

Comment

Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps (QARANC) is still part of the British Army, It went through various name changes -Army Nursing Service, Queen Alex's Imperial whatsits etc before being named QARANC in 1949. You may find the answer from one of their websites.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X