Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brits in Korea, need help!

Bonjour,

I collect uniforms and everything from the british contongent during Korea war. I work since many months on an article about this subject. However some items are still missing and perhaps you could help me.
    I'm interested in photos displaying insignias and atypical uniforms or equipments. I would like to present too certificate for comemorative medals won during the war.
    If you could help me,
    Merci
    Valery

Valery, check out the IWM photo collection.

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryMain.php

Luc

Comment

Thank you Luc for the advice but I checked it out before and some are yet in my article.
      I discovered some very interesting pictures taken by the US Signal Corps and currently at the National Archives. They depict the early months of the 27th Inf Bde displaying A&SH officers etc...
      Thank you for your interest
      Valery

Comment

Here is a picture of my Uncle Willie and his mates (Royal Ulster Rifles) looking quite miserable in Korea. PM me if it is of any interest to you or you would like to see a better scan.
        Attached Files

Comment

Bonjour,
          I've well received your photo on my mail box and I would like to thank you for it. Your help is very useful!
          Many thanks, merci
          Valery

Comment

Hi J C Gray

I found your photo very interesting-who is the guy marked with a cross?
            My uncle ( Pri. D.G.E. Jones 22304253) was killed at the Imjin on the 25 April 1951. His last letter home on the 4 April 1951 puts him with 'D' company x1 Platoon 1st. BN. Royal Ulster Rifles. On the 25 April he died with the Glosters he is listed on the 'Honour roll of the Glosters'. Could your uncle cast any light how that might have happened-from the RUR to the Glosters?

Kind regards Dennis G. E. Jones

Comment

The 1st Btn RUR were part of the 29th Brit Bde in Korea along with Glosters. The 64th Chinese Army attacked 22 April along a wide front on the Imjin. Until25 April British units were constantly surrounded and had to fight their way South. In the confusion, especially at night, it would be easy for stragglers and small units to join up with adjoining ones. The RUR had fought a battle at "Happy Valley" 3 months previously and had suffered 208 casualties. By the way, 49% of the RUR were from the Republic of Ireland at that time.

Comment

Bonsoir,
                Following these posts about the 1st RUR, here is a souvenir silk banner embroidered for a RUR rifleman wife.

The white circle ( later nicknamed the frozen a.s after the first winter) is the 29th independant Bde. It is interersting to notice that this man served after his tour in Korea, spent one more year in HK.

RUR cap badge detail

If you've Korea or UN medal certificates or more photos of this forgotten war, feel free to contact me. I'm sure it'll be very helpful for my article!
                Cheers

Valery

Comment

I've had a reply from the Glosters:

'...Thank you for your enquiry. As discussed in our telephone conversation, there do not appear to be any records in our archives concerning the attachment of soldiers from the Royal Ulster Rifles to the Gloucestershire Regiment prior to the battle of the Imjin. Given that the Gloucesters papers were either lost or deliberately destroyed during the battle to prevent them from falling into enemy hands, this is not surprising. I have looked through our archive, including various personal accounts written by Gloucesters veterans who were there, looking for any mention of R.U.R. men being attached to the Regiment. Unfortunately, I drew a blank.

The clues you provide below suggest that an attachment was made after 4th April 1951 [last letter] and before the 21st April. There seems little likelihood that the attachment was made during the battle of the Imjin itself. The Gloucesters Roll of Honour in our archive shows three Other Ranks, including your uncle, and no officers from the Royal Ulster Rifles being killed while attached to the Gloucesters. The other two were 6345458 L/Cpl G. Inns (KIA 24/4/51), and 22315901 Pte D.G. Morris (KIA 25/4/51). There may well have been others attached who survived and who were taken P.O.W.'

By the way, 49% of the RUR were from the Republic of Ireland at that time.
                  My uncle must have felt like a fish out of water when he was with the RUR-he was born and bred in London!

Nice banner, when was it made?

Regards Dennis

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X