Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Clement Gray, Sheffield Knuckle knife

Ello guys

Got this in the mail today looks a tad like a bc41 but I guess an early or late model? at a guess ww1prvt purchase, would love to know if anyone has a picture of these been held by a officer etc

I don't have many blade reference books, so any help would be great guys!

Not too sure on these but I have seen several similar, one book I have says 'one of the most popular British knuckle knives of WW1, whose compact design must have influenced the famous WW2 BC41. Most examples have alloy knuckles and are by several Sheffield makers
    Although the knuckles appear to be the same on all of this pattern the blade shape can vary between makers as can the scabbard. Nice example
    Lee

Comment

Thanks for that Lee, I was hoping someone could shed some light on this bad boy Im stoked that it has a clements tag

Now to get the rest of the uniform to match the blade :P

Thanks again

-Ric

Comment

Originally posted by Old Smelly View Post
        Not too sure on these but I have seen several similar, one book I have says 'one of the most popular British knuckle knives of WW1, whose compact design must have influenced the famous WW2 BC41. Most examples have alloy knuckles and are by several Sheffield makers
        Although the knuckles appear to be the same on all of this pattern the blade shape can vary between makers as can the scabbard. Nice example
        Lee

Here is the BC 41 for compare. ( my collection)

Your dagger looks period Kiwi Ric...
        What is the diameter in millimeters in the blade at the ricasso section and the blade length ?

Last edited by LH 600; 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Hello mate, thanks for the reply

here are the diameters

Full length of the blade from end to end "with tang" 210mm

Sharpend blade length 112mm

ricasso section 16mm wide and 4mm in thickness

I hope this helps mate

Comment

Thanks for the info Kiwi.

In my eyes this knife you share pics of is orginal.
            I collect this types of knifes some years ago but have now landed on German daggers and still collecting the FS knifes.

Regards LH

Comment

I must say the FS knifes are bloody nice as are the German Daggers, I just love the medics blades

Thanks for the info on the blade mate, I just wish I had some reff photos of it been used

-Ric

Comment

Hi Ric.
                I will send this topic to a friend of me. He have all the info of this types of knifes you have. Im 95 sure its orginal.....but i can mistake..

BC 41 are very rare to find with orginal scabbards. My BC 41 have seen use in my homecountry.

All the best LH

Comment

........edit
                  Last edited by LH 600; 04-09-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hi Again

here is some info from a near friend of me. He collect such types.

He sayd :

Most interesting knife which looks OK and probably WW1 period. Although I have not heard of the firm CLEMENT GRAY. Also I do not think the sheath is original to this style of knife. It does look from the right period but the body section where the knife fits is the wrong shape for a double edged blade.

LH

Comment

Thanks mate,

All I know about the blade, is this is how it came from the bloke that used it, the late vets partner had it stored in a tool box, will all his other tools and knifes etc

Your friend says the scab is not correct for the blade,but its a great fit for the knife, perfect in length... but again Im not much of a blade person

the name "Gray Clement" has his name on afew George V Royal Artillery officer's swords with etched blades, but thats all I could find out

But thanks for the info mate

Comment

Bc41

A new addition, similar to the BC41, appears to be locally made but with some precision, scabbard is made from one piece of leather folded over and rivetted.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Loops through top hole to secure knife in place.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Blade held in place by two screws.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Smelly, looks very close to a bc41, Have you had anyluck to see if it was a one off? or did they make a Small number of them?

-R

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X