RAF and Commonwealth Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF and Commonwealth Wings

I think that there is real value in having a pinned thread regarding discussion and accurate identification of original RFC/RAF/RCAF/RAAF/RNZAF/SAAF, etc. cloth wings. Though I don't collect them specifically I do have an interest and have a few that I've obtained directly from U.S. veterans associated with the RAF or RCAF during WWII. There are frequent requests from forum members for authenticating wings and perhaps this would be a start. Warren Carroll's book is great but he doesn't picture the backs of wings nor does he go into either the discussion of the attributes of original wings or the details of reproduction wings. I understand that it wasn't within the scope of his work and as far as I'm aware there are no other references on the subject (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm no expert, just an interested student wanting to learn more about the subject. I'd certainly be willing to post examples of wings that I have that have rock solid WWII provenance but I couldn't begin to forensically explain or defend them. I know the obvious arguments against such a thread, but does a useful resource for collectors outweigh the education of fakers? Do any of you consider yourself expert enough to address the subject?

I for one agree that we should have a pinned thread about commonwealth wings. With the increasing rarity of these items as they get snatched up into personal collections, it would not only increase the knowlege of those interested in collecting them, but will also showcase the many variations and styles of these insignia to collectors. I would gladly contribute to such a thread

Comment

I'll post only wings with solid provenance. These wings belonged to Frederick R. Bates, an American who served with the RCAF from September 16, 1940 until June 7, 1942 at which time he transferred to the AAF. The construction is virtually the same on these two wings and I have little doubt that they were mad by the same maker. The detail is really remarkable if you study them.
      Attached Files

Comment

The reverse.
        Attached Files

Comment

Two more of Bates' wings. First the front.
          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse.
            Attached Files

Comment

These last two belonged to an Air Corps officer attached to the No. 1 British Flight Training School in Terrell, Texas during the war. The RCAF wing has particularly distinct lettering which isn't typically seen on these wings. Though not appropriate to this thread I also have a two No. 1 BFTS wings which were worn either on a uniform or hat.
              Attached Files

Comment

And finally the reverse. This concludes my contribution to the thread. A picture is worth a thousand words so hopefully this will get the ball rolling to help others.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
                  I'll post only wings with solid provenance. These wings belonged to Frederick R. Bates, an American who served with the RCAF from September 16, 1940 until June 7, 1942 at which time he transferred to the AAF. The construction is virtually the same on these two wings and I have little doubt that they were mad by the same maker. The detail is really remarkable if you study them.
                  Dave, some nice wings you've posted here but these two are unquestionably fake. Typical thick stitching, oversharp lines, general fuzzy appearance and thick sloppy thread hidden behind that black backing. Their appearance also lacks any age. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you've been "stitched up" with these two.

Comment

I purchased them directly from Bates so if they are bad he must have purchased them post war for reunions, etc.

Dave

Comment

Forgot to mention that he had a number of uniforms including RCAF shirts still folded from the laundry that were in the group. He wasn't in the RCAF for long so he had some flight suits, hats, uniforms, etc. that look almost new.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG View Post
                        I purchased them directly from Bates so if they are bad he must have purchased them post war for reunions, etc.

Dave
                        That's quite common Dave. It's happened to me! Veterans often forget due to age etc where things came from. I had one RAC veteran tell me that a anodised aluminum QE2 RAC cap badge was the one he wore in the desert in WW2! I can't see your wings being older than 10 years old.

Comment

The group was purchased back in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Indeed the first set are postwar "creations" but the reast....beautiful! I especially like the RCAF wing with the huge lettering. A nice group of wings!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X