El Alamein related POW group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Alamein related POW group

Bought this group on saturday at the Stockport fair. Looked over the guys tables twice without noticing it, gave it one last look before i left & found this group with debriefing sheet.
    Thought it would be of interest here as he was taken prisoner by Rommel's troops:

Sgt Donald McCormick, Royal Artillery, 10th Indian Division
    1939-45 star, Africa star, War medal, GSM (Palestine 1945-48)

A Clerk from Glasgow before the war, he joined up 2/9/1939. Captured at Matruh 29/6/1942. After two camps in Italy he spent most of his time in Stalag IV Muhlberg.

He was taken prisoner when the 10th Indian Division were covering the 8th Armies retreat to El Alemein & were overun at the Mersa Matruh defenses.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

A very nice group, congratulations. I see that he was captured in June, 1942, a very bad month for the 8th Army.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
          A very nice group, congratulations. I see that he was captured in June, 1942, a very bad month for the 8th Army.

Bob Shoaf
          Thanks Bob, it's funny how evryone here in the UK forgets about June 1942, as you say, not the best of times.
          I'm suprised that after 3 years as a POW he decided to stay in the army, but i guess times were hard & people were happy to have a decent wage.
          It's so difficult to buy WWII medal groups that have any research potential unless you go down the very expensive Gallantry route. Made this little group a must for me.

Comment

A very nice grouping Anthony, especially seeing his extremely early enlistment date as well. Australians who enlisted during this early period are affectionately called the Thirty Niners and a very highly regarded.
            I suspect that our British brethren who enlisted in the early days are also highly regarded.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gibson View Post
              A very nice grouping Anthony, especially seeing his extremely early enlistment date as well. Australians who enlisted during this early period are affectionately called the Thirty Niners and a very highly regarded.
              I suspect that our British brethren who enlisted in the early days are also highly regarded.

Mark
              Thanks for your input Mark. Interesting stuff.
              I'm pretty new to collecting British militaria so i'm no expert, but as you say, everything about this group makes it highly regarded by me at least!

Comment

Also, Sgt. McCormick was no spring chicken, enlisting at age 30. and not waiting to be conscripted. Many believe that the Royal Artillery was the overall best arm of of service in the British Army of WWII, with great skill allied to devotion to duty.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thirty is indeed quite old for someone to volunteer.
                  There's a dealer i always chat to at the fairs who used to collect Royal Artillery. They're nowhere near the top of the collectors list, but as you say, they were superb & lets face it, they took a lot of pressure from the Luftwaffe & German Artillery, not exactly the safest of place to be.

Comment

nice catch Anthony i never saw it at the fair so its nice to see what you picked up, rgds Dave

Comment

Originally posted by sscrooge View Post
                      nice catch Anthony i never saw it at the fair so its nice to see what you picked up, rgds Dave
                      Thanks, picked it up after you left, was too busy talking while you were around

Comment

Very nice group!!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X