1800's British Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1800's British Uniform

Found this one listed on a non militaria site, framed "1890's British Uniform" they are asking $300.00 and cant provide better photos due to the glass front. Any room left in this one? Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Appears to be an infantry regiment officer's dress tunic, for a non-royal regiment. I'm not certain what year that rank insignia was moved from the collar to the shoulder, but I believe it was around 1878-1880. The Cardwell reforms of the early 1880's merged infantry regiments above the 25th regt., and many regiments lost their cherished facing colors for the ubiquitous white. These were reversed in many cases over the subsequent years.
      This tunic appears to have the lower collar, along with lack of shoulder straps, for the pre 1880 tunics. The buttons should identify the regiment, if original to the tunic.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the information may look into it as inventory for the shows, its in Texas about four hours away and they will not ship of course.

Comment

Uniform

Buttons have a crown 109 Bombay Infantry?

Comment

If all the buttons say 109 infantry, that is a nice early Indian Army officers dress tunic. It should have the rank on the collar, which is apparently missing.
            The 109th Bombay merged with the 100th to form the The Leinster Regiment (an Irish regiment) in 1881.

CB

Comment

Uniform

Here is the link for you collectors!
              http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/clt/974450821.html

Comment

Yes, oddly enough, the 109th Bombay Infty did NOT recruit Indians! It was one of several reg'ts of the Honourable East India Company, originally raised from "Europeans" resident in India or willing to go there, almost all ex-British Army and, technically, mercenaries. After the 1855 Indian Mutiny these units were taken into the British Army and recruited in the UK (England, Ireland, Wales) just like any other reg't but kept the old names until the previously mentioned Cardwell Reforms. So, if it's 109th Bombay it is a rare find indeed!

Comment

Yes, here we go:

The 109th Regiment of Foot (Bombay Infantry) was an infantry regiment of the British Army from 1862 to 1881, when it was amalgamated into The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians).

The regiment was originally raised by the Honourable East India Company in 1853 as the 3rd Bombay (European) Regiment, and served in the Indian Mutiny of 1857. As with all other "European" units of the Company, they were placed under the command of the Crown in 1858, and formally moved into the British Army in 1862, ranked as the 109th Foot.

As part of the Cardwell Reforms in 1881, the regiment was amalgamated with the 100th (Prince of Wales's Royal Canadian) Regiment of Foot to form The Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians).

Comment

Uniform

So in your opinion since this lady will not ship, should I get it? Its not my area of focus but the price is not bad. Would probably remove it from that case as you cant tell condition. Wonder how hard the collar insignia is to find.

Thanks for your help

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Flanagan View Post
                      So in your opinion since this lady will not ship, should I get it? Its not my area of focus but the price is not bad. Would probably remove it from that case as you cant tell condition. Wonder how hard the collar insignia is to find.

Thanks for your help

Steve
                      Steve,
                      The tunic is probably worth about what she is asking for it. If you were a British collector it would be worth buying but if you just want show sell/trade material I don't think you could do much with it. Out of the case it might be mothed or damaged on the reverse. Save your money, gas and time.
                      Garth

Comment

Uniform

Excellent idea, thank you!

Comment

I have to agree with Garth: too dear unless it's your particular interest and the chances of finding collar badges are slim and nil!

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X