Ww2 british para helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ww2 british para helmet

Hello, I need help with buying a Brit. WW2 Para helmet. So many fakes and conversions out their. Maybe because these helmets creeping up in value to the German Para helmets.

My question is how can you tell a WW2 Para helmet and liner from a post war British army authorized manufactured helmet. Didn't they make the same style helmet well into 1950's from same WW2 factory?

Did the WW2 Para helmet shell have any markings?

I know the difference in para helmet and liner compared to a tanker or a dispatch rider one.

Thanks
    Kelly

Not seen many around lately, do a search in the forum you will find much information regards the different models, Liners are wartime dated so that would be self explanatory, the shells were not marked in any way that I know of.

Be careful of dispatch rider shells!

Scott

Comment

Thanks I did do a search.

Comment

Kelly,

Just a thought, maybe you would find the members here being more helpful if you stopped asking what other members here payed for their wares, like a rude a five year old child.

Why not try "Would some-one be so kind to help in telling me the going rate for a X pattern para helmet ". See where that gets you.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
          ............the shells were not marked in any way that I know of.

Scott
          Hey Scott,
          Some ( all ?) shells are marked and dated. If the paint is thin enough, and the liner in the right place, you might be lucky enough to see it. On most shells the paint will be too thick to see anything.

Regards,
          Steve

Comment

I thought most collectors want to brag about their deals. Exceptions do apply I guess.

Then if I may ask. What is the going rate these days for a 1944 Para helmet with web straps complete dated and in fair condition?

Thanks
            Kelly

Comment

Hi Steve,

Had a good look round the ones I 've had and I'll be honest I can remember seeing anything on the shells just looking at a Fibre rim now obvisally not in the same style as the "Tommy " helmets are stamped with the manufactures details & date as this would be quite easy to see?

If theirs a link to this here would someone post it please would be very interested to catch up on this.

Regards
              Scott
              Last edited by Mons 1914; 12-31-2008, 09:33 AM.

Comment

To

To tell you the truth, I can't remember seeing a para helmet shell with a date stamp, although they exist.
                I have seen shells with ROC stamped in them though.

Prices .... well .. British WW2 para items are still holding a fair price.
                .. BMB web straps do vary ... if your lucky, a half decent one might come your way for the £250 - £300 GBP price .... although through a dealer expect a mark up towards £400 - £450.

.. And there doe'snt seem to be a variation in price between a 3 hole (5 hole conversion) 43 BMB and a 3 hole 44 BMB .. they are treated the same .

As ever ... patience is the name of the game

Gary J.
                Last edited by Gary Jucha; 12-31-2008, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Those with the broad arrow and date stamp at the rear of the shell were done post war during rebuild I believe.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
                    Hi Steve,

If there's a link to this here would someone post it please would be very interested to catch up on this.

Regards
                    Scott

Here Scott:
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=DATED+SHELLS

BTW there was a nice 42 dated Fibre-rim shell at Stoneliegh last year.

Comment

I sold a 1942 fibre rim on ebay just a few weeks ago, converted to web harness, with a rough liner for $610.00 USD. How things have changed. I remember seeing a box of 40 or 50 of these helmets in a box at a disposal store about 15 or 20 years ago for $4.00 AUD each. They were all types too, fibre rims leather harness to the later ones.
                      Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly sch View Post
                        Hello, I need help with buying a Brit. WW2 Para helmet. So many fakes and conversions out their. Maybe because these helmets creeping up in value to the German Para helmets.

My question is how can you tell a WW2 Para helmet and liner from a post war British army authorized manufactured helmet. Didn't they make the same style helmet well into 1950's from same WW2 factory?

Did the WW2 Para helmet shell have any markings?

I know the difference in para helmet and liner compared to a tanker or a dispatch rider one.

Thanks
                        Kelly
                        Hi Kelly,
                        I'll try to load a picture from my small collection. This is a sweat band from my WW2 Para helmet. I could not find any shell markings on the Para helmet, I think the paint is too thick. I have other Tanker helmets that are well marked on the shell.
                        Under $1000 AUD is about the normal price though I saw one recently attributed to the 1st Aust Para Regt go for $2500AUD.
                        Regards Graham.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GCG1964 View Post
                          Under $1000 AUD is about the normal price though I saw one recently attributed to the 1st Aust Para Regt go for $2500AUD.
                          I saw that auction. That was a nice helmet but it went overseas. A damn shame.

- Chris

Comment

Thanks for all the info on helmet and price ranges.

The original leather strap was used in the war, but did the web strap version ever see action? I have not seen any WW2 photos with a web strap Para.

I still want one, maybe becasue I can't aford $1000 - $2000 US for original leather.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly sch View Post
                              Thanks for all the info on helmet and price ranges.

The original leather strap was used in the war, but did the web strap version ever see action? I have not seen any WW2 photos with a web strap Para.

I still want one, maybe becasue I can't aford $1000 - $2000 US for original leather.
                              Kelly
                              Yes the helmets with web harness were used during the war. Interesting to hear about the big price payed for the helmet atributed to the Aussie 1st para battalion. I am currently negotiating with a bloke to aquire one with an Australian ww2 service number written inside it. It will go nicely with my 1st para tunic I have.
                              Bruce

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X