No announcement yet.

Jewish brigade badge opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offence to Alex intended, but this is rapidly getting into 'urban myth' territory: "I know a bloke who met a guy in a pub who has.... [fill in rare treasure of yr choice here] or, my version, "I saw this [book/photo/group] once and they were definitely to... [17th Underwater Sappers and Miners]".

In that vein, my only contribution is that I spent 2 years in Nigeria back in the late '70's and the "Star of David" had a history in British West Africa. The pre-independence pennies, for example, were pierced in the center - for threading on a string by pocketless persons - and the star appeared on the reverese, around the hole. The police there wore the Nigerian eagle on their badges and I can't recall even noticing the Customs or Prison Guards.

Having said all that, I have to agree with Alex - these appear way to common to be anything as putatively rare as EITHER Jewish chaplain or Nigerian [?] unless, perhaps, a lot of the latter were dumped by a manufacturer or government after replacement by a new pattern.

My tuppence and change worth!
    Peter

Comment

From the pictures this example looks like a restrike anyway which could partly explain why they are so thick on the ground.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
        From the pictures this example looks like a restrike anyway which could partly explain why they are so thick on the ground.
        It does appear rather odd. As far as I'm aware though, these don't bring much money, so I'm surprised someone would go to the trouble to make one.
        The one I started that old thread off with is a nice example of a good old one. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

Steve
        ~ The true test of a democracy is how well it protects the rights of its least popular citizens. ~

~ Never cross swords with an unworthy opponent. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sherlock View Post
          It does appear rather odd. As far as I'm aware though, these don't bring much money, so I'm surprised someone would go to the trouble to make one.
          The one I started that old thread off with is a nice example of a good old one. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out.

Steve
          Will do Steve.

As far as restrikes go the 2 main producers of cap badges In the uk sold off their defunct dies some years ago, so the guys who bought them have been churning out restrikes by the 1000. Not just rare badges but even the corps.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

I have got this book.

Originally posted by Historama View Post
            I don't have a copy but the book does come up from time to time.

it's in Hebrew: Capt. Yaakov Lifschitz, "The Book of the Jewish Brigade" by Yavne Press, 1947.

Alex
            Dear forum members,
            I am new here and found this forum by googling on the Jewish Brigade badges. I was happy to read that this badge appears in a book, especially since I happen to have this book. I double checked every page of it - but no such badge appears. Alex - maybe you have mixed things up with another book.

Yair
            Israel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X