Manions Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manions Madness

Just checked manions "Visor Cap Special" auction that ends tonight at 9:30 EST. Did anyone see item # 5972130, a Brtish other ranks sidecap, minus badge. I don't recognize the regiment, but the current price, including commission, is $2,538.05!!!
    This is a $50.00 item, and I have noticed a number of other caps with absurd prices; like a Grenadier Guards cap, rank guardsman, for $190.00, plus commission!
    Are there really bidders out there this stupid, and uninformed, who can hold down a job that allows them to have funds like this on hand?

Bob Shoaf

Bob, incredible!

http://www.manions.com/bid/bid.aspx~...ist~15631-6021

There's something fishy about this auction.

Luc

Comment

Value of side caps depends on the unit. A lady produced a book on these.

Comment

I'll have to double check but I'm sure these colours are for REME, not that scarce.
        Lee

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
          Value of side caps depends on the unit. A lady produced a book on these.
          Sorry, but I don't care if the cap was worn by Montgomery; it's price is absurd.

Comment

I dont particularly likew coloured service caps but I would pay £15-£20 if I saw it .Rob
            Attached Files
            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
              Sorry, but I don't care if the cap was worn by Montgomery; it's price is absurd.
              I have a theory...

I'm no expert, but I that that this might be a pattern worn by the Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWMP) in Canada. If this is the case, then it is a very rare and highly sought after piece. Their early uniforms were basically a direct copy of British military uniforms and headgear.

There are several books published on their headgear, so perhaps someone out there can look into it and give us an answer.

You can check out more on their history at the following link...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/history/history_e.htm

Cheers,

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 1stcanpara View Post
                I have a theory...

I'm no expert, but I that that this might be a pattern worn by the Royal North West Mounted Police (RNWMP) in Canada. If this is the case, then it is a very rare and highly sought after piece. Their early uniforms were basically a direct copy of British military uniforms and headgear.

There are several books published on their headgear, so perhaps someone out there can look into it and give us an answer.

You can check out more on their history at the following link...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/history/history_e.htm

Cheers,

Gary
                I took another look at the listing; the buttons are British General Service pattern. I know little about RCMP uniforms, but even IF the cap is a rare one, is it worth the price realized?

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Manions is still in business? People still bid there?

Comment

Manions

Originally posted by Adam H View Post
                    Manions is still in business? People still bid there?
                    Hi,
                    they are still there but for how long... ?
                    I watched closely the last 10 months & saw that many, many items close without any bid ! This will not last long anymore - just MO !
                    Some years ago this was not so indeed - but the items were a lot better and ORIGINAL.
                    Some very nice stuff at the time and well priced too.

As Time Goes By........

Comment

Manion's has online consignment auctions closing 365 days a year, and recently launched our second online auction - List it Yourself. It's an eBay style service without massive fees and unfair restrictions.

Comment

Greetings,

I know it's beating a dead horse, but unfortunately Ron's business practices from the past continue to haunt the Manion's name and reputation. Quite honestly, I think the current owner/operator of the Manion's firm is a little more squared away than the previous guy.

I think their fee's and procedures are more even handed than eBay but would rather post an item for sale on WAF, especially based on manion's track record of pay-out, returns and accountability for items (based on what I have read from customer reviews/complaints). If memory serves, their buyer premium is a little outlandish with manions and that prevents you from scoring a good deal.

Just my $.02. No one seems to be able to compete with the eBay juggernaut effectively (effectively).

Pete

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X