My New Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New Uniform

Greetings everyone, the day has finally arrived. After a big blunder with UPS sending this set to British Columbia instead of Ontario, everything has been fixed and this gent has arrived, albeit a little bit behind schedule! I now have the pleasure of introducing all of you to:
    Warrant Officer 1st Class Bobby Bunting 409075 RAAF/RAF. This chap flew Spits with RAF #93 squadron in North Africa and Malta, where he became an ace and received the Distinguished Flying Cross. As well he was also awarded the US Distinguished Flying Cross for supporting an American landing at Salerno. This chap had a high price tag on him, but it was worth it, even worth the wait! The set is his #1 Tunic and Peaked cap, named and dated 1945. Unfortunately it's a dreary snowy day here in my part of Canada, so the photos don't do the rich deep blue colour justice.....

You may all be wondering where I found this? Well, let's just say a heartfelt thanks goes out to Gary Cain for this one!
    Cheers, and hope you enjoy!
    Attached Files

up close
    Attached Files

Comment

Wing and Ribbons
      Attached Files

Comment

WO's Rank
        Attached Files

Comment

Its a very nice set Mike. Just one quick question about Bunting which can answer quickly from the service papers which you mentioned you had in the other post..........what date was he promoted to Pilot Officer?

Comment

The Cap
            Attached Files

Comment

Yellow, you bring up a good question. I checked the records, and according to them he was promoted on the 1st of July 1944.....which doesn't look too good so far with the dating of the jacket, seeing as he returned to Australia in 1945
              Will also attach these photos, I heard some jingling and found these in the bottom lining, where there was a hole in the pocket, an australian shilling dated 1943 and a small charm looks like for a necklace which has written on the back The Italians to the Heroic 8th Army
              Attached Files

Comment

The backs
                Attached Files

Comment

Mike, are there an signs of where the jacket might of been re-tailored? Also could you please show a photograph of the label.

Comment

Re-tailored? you mean "dressed up" or re-done in Australia by Bunting upon his return? Because there is one stitch spot on the back where it looks like the jacket was taken in to make it smaller. I turned it inside out, and I noticed the WO's crests were sewn through the liner....which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but the wing isn't sewn through the liner.
                    attached is a pic of the label
                    Attached Files

Comment

I mean re-tailored in 1945.

How are the medal ribbons attached?

Mike I am lead to believe the Australian War Memorial hold a number of such jackets. I am no expert on the subject of RAAF uniforms so it might be worth doing some research on the jackets in their holdings. In particular comparing the label dates to promotion dates and final rank held.

Comment

Well now I'm a little uneasy about this set ....Although I still love it dearly, and at this point, I still believe it to be Bunting's. I am going to ask the chaps at the AWM, see if I can get anywhere.

The ribbons are each sewn around a small plate. Each plate has two lugs on the back and are fastened through the uniform in the same fashion as a cap badge.

Comment

That medal is a very interesting piece in it's own right!!!! That is one centerpiece grouping!

Comment

Mike
                            Excellent set. The label "M- TX" stands for Melbourne textile company, which made tons of uniforms during the war, but unfortunatrly very rarely did this company put dates on their tags. They also made uniforms up into the 1950's as well, but I believe the one you have is wartime made as the bottom pockets on the jacket are external, which indicates it was made pre 1943. After this date I believe they went to internal pockets as with the army tunics, as a material saving measure.
                            Regards Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Pine View Post
                              Mike
                              Excellent set. The label "M- TX" stands for Melbourne textile company, which made tons of uniforms during the war, but unfortunatrly very rarely did this company put dates on their tags. They also made uniforms up into the 1950's as well, but I believe the one you have is wartime made as the bottom pockets on the jacket are external, which indicates it was made pre 1943. After this date I believe they went to internal pockets as with the army tunics, as a material saving measure.
                              Regards Bruce
                              What you've told me Bruce gives me some hope.....why would the label have a date of 1945 then? Another neat feature of the bottom pockets is that not only do they secure shut on the outside with the RAAF buttons, but there's also a second button and button hole to secure it shut on the inside. I've never seen it before, is it common among RAAF tunics? What's your honest opinion of the jacket?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X