Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pin

Hi guys

Got a strange one here, and would appreciate any info. Had a friend came by with this pin. Quite severe penalties for WW1 isn't it?
    Attached Files

Strange side

Attached Files

Comment

??? $500?
      Last edited by Mike Cauvin; 11-24-2008, 02:33 AM.

Comment

That is indeed strange a fine of 500 dollars on supposedly an English pin.

Comment

It's Canadian, note the "CEF" so dollars would be proper.

Dave

Comment

How much would one of these Service at the Front pins be worth?

Comment

I think fines or imprisonment for wearing these pins under false pretences were always high and taken very seriously by the authorities both in Canada and Great Britain.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Referred to as a Class A War Service Badge, in the official nomenclature.

As Ade points out, the penalties were quite severe for misuse...to discourage fraudsters from making claims, monetary or otherwise, for war service.

The serial number on the reverse is recorded on a certificate that was issued with the badge. Sometimes this number is recorded in the service file and/or discharge certificate. Sadly there is no roll to look up who this may have belonged to from the serial number alone (it does not relate to the soldier's regimental/service number)

Earlier versions of this badge were issued by the Canadian Patriotic Fund and were dated. Where this badge has CEF those badges have CPF and dates at the bottom. I have one such example, but there are several varieties. The dated ones are rather scarcer, the standard badge as illustrated here is very common.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Adam

I found this page from your info. http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...inmenu/group08 Did having the badge give some kind of benefits that they would have to specify these penalties for misuse?

Mike

Comment

Mike,

It's my understanding that the penalties were designed to keep charlatans and walts from masquerading as veterans, who actually "did their bit." As you can see from the VAC page you found, the badge was given to all (honourably) discharged soldiers, so they would have been a rather common sight in the early post-WWI era. Not that the vets themselves gained much, in a monetary sense, but they did have their pride of having served, and rightly so.

Although I have never come across information documenting a case where someone not entitled to the badge was caught wearing one...there are certainly numerous stories of soldiers (and civilians) wearing self-awarded medals, especially gallantry awards. This was done to impress women and get free pints at the pub...as well as some other more nefarious activities.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X