Clear All

HMS Vengeance - a sad image ...

Hi Folks,

R-71 "HMS Vengeance" - Colossus Class (1942-1945):

In Royal Australian Navy (1952-1955):

A-11 "Minas Gerais" - Brazilian Navy in 1956-2002:

Now in India ...

Ricardo.

sadly now a days this is how most ships end there days! pulled up on a beach in India and fairly quickly taking apart and stripped down to nothing! a sad end to a great ship!!

Comment

Sad indeed! Any new word on HMS Zenith? Lord, I hope that ship can be saved!

-Ski

Comment

With the global demand for scrap steel not slowing down it is not surprising to see this.

Comment

I always thought it a little sad that the RN used to sink its retired ships as target practice. At least this ship is being re-cycled.

I hear it costs literally millions to strip out all components and materials that are harmful to sea life.

Comment

Main

The main problem with the old ships is the asbestos based fireproofing.
            ..Most of which was sprayed on .... so you can imagine what a nightmare it is to remove !

Gary J.

Originally posted by yellow View Post
            I always thought it a little sad that the RN used to sink its retired ships as target practice. At least this ship is being re-cycled.

I hear it costs literally millions to strip out all components and materials that are harmful to sea life.

Comment

Those poor chaps in India dont exactly look well equiped to handle asbestos!

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                Those poor chaps in India dont exactly look well equiped to handle asbestos!
                Nor any of the other dozen hazardous materials and chemicals likely to be found in any large ship! They're likely as healthy, as a group, as your typical bunch of 1850's coal miners. And with the same life expectancy. Don't even want to think about the combo. of a sand base and bamboo scaffolding high enough to reach a carrier deck.

Comment

ALANG SHIP DEMOLITION SITE- INDIA

Comment

Comment

his that vengeance?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X