RAF Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Uniforms

Have question re RAF Uniforms during the Battle of Britain.Most photos show the pilots wearing the regular RAF blue uniform but I have a picture in the book 'A Summer for Heroes' of Sgt.G.Booth of 85 squadron wearing a Battle Dress it could well be an army Khaki colour is hard to tell, during August 1940.

In another book ' RAF fighter Squadrons'there is a photo of Squadron Leader B.J.E.Lane c.o.of 19 squadron taken sometime between 5thSeptember1940 and June 1941 in a blue Battle Dress.

My question is when did the RAF Blue Battle Dress enter into regular use?

John

Test/trial versions were around very early -- 1938/39 IIRC. I've personally seen 1939 and 1940 dated examples. They're extremely rare and weren't issued on a large scale. Adoption as Suits, Aircrew was in 1941 with large scale issuances to aircrew beginning later in the same year.

For your 1940 photo, look at the pocket flaps on the jacket. Army have a single point; RAF have triple-pointed.

Comment

Thank-you Sprog Collector I wasn't aware that Battle Dresses were designed and issued on a trial basis that early I was thinking 41/42.

The 1940 picture is an Army issue by the shape of the pocket flap was this common among B of B pilots?

John

Comment

I'm not sure how common Army battledress was amongst RAF aircrew in 1940. Probably a rarity at that point.

They were certainly worn in great numbers later in the war: the Desert Air Force, RAF Regiment (~1942+) and, later, personnel assigned to the 2nd Tactical Air Force.

I think there's a photo of a 71 Sqdn pilot wearing one while they were working up in 12 Group. I'll need to check some books. There are occassional odd references to particular units being used to try them out

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X