All Black 2nd Pattern Commando Knife - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Black 2nd Pattern Commando Knife - Questions

This All-Black Commando Knife is a 2nd Pattern, however the blade is machine ground. There are no markings at all on the Knife and on the scabbard a broad-head arrow stamping. The pommel nut does not show the well known vice marks. My questions are if it is an original of WW2 and if so, who made it? I guess it could be a transitional pattern, even post-war, or worse, a copy! It certainly looks good to me, but would value imput from forum members. Regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

Image 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Image 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Image 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Image 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Image 6 - Pommel Nut with no sign of the well-known vice marks.
            Attached Files

Comment

Image 7 - Final. Stamping on top of scabbard.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clive,
                My observations:-
                Never seen arrow so large on a scabbard.
                The elastic looks replaced, stitching on back looks messed with? But the scabbard does look late WW2.
                I have seen blades that look machine made on 2nd Patts.
                But I have never seen a nut without the clamp marks. What are your thoughts on how the nut was tightened.
                These are just my thoughts on the knife. My best guess would be a post war copy, those missing clamp marks make me very suspicious.
                Regards
                Irv

Comment

Thanks for the comments Irv. The arrow certainly is odd, the elastic has not been replaced, but has come loose on one side, the stiching is fine. I really do not know about the fastening of the pommel nut, it is possible that the vice slipped and has caused more of a groove than the two marks you would expect to see? On the face of it it looks good, but I really am not certain. Will attach another image that shows the top of the pommel nut. Regards, Clive.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Clive,
                    Tang not peened over and no clamp marks
                    Just too many ??????
                    Regards
                    Irv

Comment

Thanks again Irv. The tang is countersunk, but this was probably caused by it being cut too short. A good explaination given to me about the pommel nut vice marks, or lack of being "text-book" is this. "The marks on the side should not really receive too much attention. If the fitter used a lead lining to the vice jaws you would get this sort of mark. Perhaps he was fed up with taking the jaws out after peening and then tightening the next one, put the jaws back etc". also "Wartime manufacturing methods varied greatly as output was the guiding factor". On balance I am fairly content with this knife, but welcome any further comments. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X