Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Flash on Slouch Hat

Hi guys
    I have had this slouch hat a while but have not been able to identify the flash on the side, it appears to be a regimental ribbon and has had a cap badge over the top at some time. It came with a mixed bag of items, mostly from one guy but with other family bits as well so nothing definate as to the unit. Any ideas, hat is dated 1942 and has owners service number in pen.
    Lee
    Attached Files

Can you post the service number? This would allow a search for the owner's records at NA Australia and at the Australian War Memorial.

Cheers, Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacLean View Post
      Can you post the service number? This would allow a search for the owner's records at NA Australia and at the Australian War Memorial.

Cheers, Ken
      Ken, this is a British bush hat... not an Australian slouch hat. This hat would have been used by a Briton and would have his service number in it.

- Chris

Comment

Outch!! Hate it when that happens.....

I now dislike sloutch hats! General Montgomery is often shown in pics taken in North Africa wearing a sloutch with many badges affixed to it. Was this hat an Australian or a Brit?

Ken
        Last edited by Ken MacLean; 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

oh Ken you will hate this but his slouch hat was actually Australian. He is said to have liked them on the Aussies so much in North Africa he requested his own. He was given one and affixed many countries regimental badges on it. The Aussies in the 2/7th field regiment said he looked like "a prize galah" who wore the hat "jammed down on top of his head"

Just to confuse you more!

- Chris

Comment

Re slouch hat/bush hat

Hello,

Just to confuse the issue furthur..........i was reliably informed at beltring .....
            from the horses mouth ....an aussie vet ....that the supply chain actually gave them replacement slouch hats contracted from uk .

I can see the point as well....why ship from australia to the middle east when you can ship from uk

Same applied to weapons , brens from uk to aussie troops in the middle east ,
            Aussie brens to the far east to brit troops Makes a lot of sense. Samo samo with desert shorts shirts etc.

Regards

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X