Named British Tunics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named British Tunics

Hello These two tunic are part and a large collection I just purchased. I know zip about British items. So thanks for any info. Up first is a tunic for Captain John Charles Warren This letter was in the pocket.
    Attached Files

tunic
    Attached Files

Comment

insignia
      Attached Files

Comment

label edit wrong label this is for the second tunic
        Attached Files
        Last edited by klr; 09-12-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Next THis letter was in the pocket of the second tunic. Kirby
          Attached Files

Comment

tunic
            Attached Files

Comment

label for the first tunic
              Attached Files

Comment

insignia
                Attached Files

Comment

ribbon bar A note in the pocket says WWII service, African Star, Italy 43-45 and ???? colonial service.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is sewn in the front area of the first tunic. I think it a service #
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well someone has done all the work for you. Neat find really.

A few points

1) The green ribbon is the TEM (Territorial Efficiency Medal 2nd Type) or the EM Efficiency Medal So this guy must of had some prewar going way back to the 20s, Not an expert on this one but some one here will give you the details I am sure or correct me if I am wrong

2) the stitched numbers/letter are dry cleaners marks to identify the article of clothing could be his SN could be any jumble of letters
                      Last edited by byterock; 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Hello Thanks for the info on the medal bar. Kirby

Comment

KLR,
                          Some nice ww2 era tunics. I think the tunic identified to the Welsh Regiment ex Ox. Hussars is potentially more interesting than that of the Royal Artillery.
                          The problem with it is the missing ribbon bars and the collar badges are for enlisted men. The correct ones should be what we call OSD, or bronze coloured Officer Service Dress types.
                          They can be found with a little searching.

CB

Comment

Hello Thanks for the info. The first tunic is dated 1920 on the tag. I switched the photos by mistake when I posted them. Do you know when they started using OSD insignia for officers? Kirby

Comment

OSD bronzed badges came out around 1902. Some regiments never used them of course (Highland Scottish regts and some cavalry), but most did. In the 1950's some more regiments started to use the dress badges on Officer's Service Dress, but this is beyond the time period in question of course. The Welsh Regiment always used OSD bronze to the best of my knowledge.

CB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X